Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Python App
This is a really broad questions, so please know I am not expecting someone to solve this for me - I am just looking for direction. I am building an app in Python that will download files from a secure website. In a nutshell, the secure server requires 2 factor authentication. the users has an assigned user name and password, and upon entry to the site is sent a code via cell phone to enter in to get compete access to the data that pertains to the attorney involved and her client. Once "in", you must do "things" in a very cumbersome and slow way through the browser, such as downloading files that belong to one client. I would like to create an app that ran in the background one a user has been authenticated. For example, I am wondering whether I could do a mass download to the PC. Then on the attorney's next return to the site, my python code running in the background could essentially "update" the files that are now housed on the PC. This would mean identifying new files, and more problematically perhaps, download those existing files that have changed since the last mirror.

I simply don't know what direction to turn in, or even if this is achievable. I assume there could be roadblocks on the server that might prevent or try to prevent this? But in theory, once the secure connection is established, couldn't my app use that connection to do these background tasks? What tools would I be looking at? "Requests" Mod in Python?
If I were pursuing this project, I'd probably look into Selenium. Depending on how powerful Selenium is (which I'm not sure about) there might be some small manual work required as part of what you create. There are cases where the requests module might make sense, but I suspect that unless you have a way to grab the browser's cookies to use within requests, that Selenium would be a more immediate fit.