Python Forum
python selenium - get info from nested divs
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
python selenium - get info from nested divs
Hi, I'm new to selenium and am trying to grab information from the html below. The info I want is the student name located at the a_href (below as John Doe), the number of questions answered in the div "td questions-num"(425 shown below), the time spent in the div "td time-spent" (2hr 0min) and last practiced in the "last-practiced-text" div. It then has these details again in the divs below again <div class="tr student-info">...</div>. If there is a resource that you think might help me learn this I would also appreciate it if you mention it.

<div id="bd"> 
    <div class="report-title">...</div>
    <div class="all-students-report" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_178">
        <div class="usage-summary">...</div>
        <div class="students-header">...</div>
        <div class="students-table" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_177">
            <div class="tbody" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_176">
                <div class="tr student-info" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_175">
                    <div class="student-info-container" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_174">
                        <div class="student-avatar-and-name" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_173">
                            <div class="td student-avatar-column">...</div>
                            <div class="td student-name student-name-column" colspan="1" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_172">
                                <a href="/analytics/student-details?teacherId=125756982#student=125757254" id="yui_3_18_1_1_1614259351527_170">John Doe</a>
                            </div>
                        </div>
                        <div class="td questions-num">
                            <div class="questions-num-pencil-icon"></div>
                            <span class="questions-num-data">425 questions</span>
                        </div>
                        <div class="td time-spent">
                            <div class="time-spent-clock-icon"></div>
                            <span class="time-spent-data">2 hr 0 min</span>
                        </div>
                        <div class="td last-active">
                            <div class="last-active-calendar-icon"></div>
                            <span class="last-active-data"><span class="last-practiced-text">Practised</span>
                            yesterday
                        </span>
                    </div
                    ></div>
                    <div class="td skill-row skill-name-column">...
                    </div>
                    <div class="tr student-info">...</div>
I have tried to grab the details requested but the best I've done after I log onto the site is:

#select report
driver.get("https://uk.ixl.com/analytics/students-quickview?teacherId=125756982")
time.sleep(5)           

wait = WebDriverWait(driver, 10)

wait.until(EC.element_to_be_clickable((By.CLASS_NAME, 'date-range'))).click()
wait.until(EC.element_to_be_clickable((By.XPATH, '//div[text()="Last 7 days"]'))).click()

student_data = wait.until(EC.presence_of_element_located((By.CLASS_NAME, 'tbody')))
for items in student_data:
    name = items.find_element_by_classname("student-name")
    print(name.text)
but I get a message saying 'WebElement' object is not iterable. So basically, I would appreciate if if someone could advise how I grab the information requested, thanks
Hi,
You can try to identify the elements with their index, then illiterate on the index to the last one. Use this to identify by index
name=driver.find_element_by_xpath("(//*[contains(@class, 'student-name')])[1]")
print(name.text)
note the index [1]? you can replace it with a variable and illiterate with a For loop,else use a while loop(not soo elegant but can solve your problem)
x=1

while 1:
    try:
        name=driver.find_element_by_xpath("(//*[contains(@class, 'student-name')])[x]")
        print(name.text)
        #increment x by 1
        x+=1
    except Exception as e:
        break
damian0612 likes this post
(Feb-25-2021, 09:50 PM)law Wrote: Hi,
You can try to identify the elements with their index, then illiterate on the index to the last one. Use this to identify by index
name=driver.find_element_by_xpath("(//*[contains(@class, 'student-name')])[1]")
print(name.text)
note the index [1]? you can replace it with a variable and illiterate with a For loop,else use a while loop(not soo elegant but can solve your problem)
x=1

while 1:
    try:
        name=driver.find_element_by_xpath("(//*[contains(@class, 'student-name')])[x]")
        print(name.text)
        #increment x by 1
        x+=1
    except Exception as e:
        break

fantastic, that has helped a lot, I can use
count = len(driver.find_elements_by_xpath("(//*[contains(@class, 'student-name')])"))
to find how many there are and use it to loop through the elements I need that amount of times, thanks very much
Awesome, glad to have been of help

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  how to iterate through a divs tag yokaso 3 3,083 Nov-01-2019, 07:48 AM
Last Post: buran
  Error in Selenium: CRITICAL:root:Selenium module is not installed...Exiting program. AcszE 1 3,584 Nov-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Last Post: metulburr
  Web Crawler: How to find all divs that starts with... amandacstr 3 6,439 Oct-01-2016, 02:15 PM
Last Post: amandacstr