Python Forum
Python Hangman Replacing "_" with letters.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python Hangman Replacing "_" with letters.
I have been working my way through projects on Python and now I want to start on hangman. I have not started the code yet because of an issue I am having trouble finding a solution. I want a hangman game where there is a list of random words and a random word is chosen. I want the person to be able to guess a letter and then replace the "_" with that letter at the correct index. For example: The word is "apple" so "_____" but if you guess a then "a____":
I would also like to be able to place a letter in all the times it is in the word like "p" is in apple twice so if guess is "p" it would be "_pp__". I want to try and do all the rest of code myself I just would like to know how to do this small part so I can then apply it.
I did it starting the word 'apple' as a list ['a','p','p','l','e'] and every time a letter is a match I change it for '*'.
Try by yourself first and then I'll post my solution.

My solution:
def checkLetter(letter, word, guess_word):

for c in word:
        if c == letter:
            guess_word[word.index(c)] = c
            word[word.index(c)] = '*'

return guess_word

word = list('apple')
guess_word = ['_' for x in word]

print(guess_word)
while '_' in guess_word:
    guess = input('Letter: ')
    print(checkLetter(guess, word, guess_word))
Thanks for the help but if you don't mind, could you please elaborate on:
while '_' in guess_word:
    guess = input('Letter: ')
    print(checkLetter(guess, word, guess_word))
Particularly:
while '_' in guess_word:
Thanks.
(Jun-24-2018, 01:00 AM)gontajones Wrote: I did it starting the word 'apple' as a list ['a','p','p','l','e'] and every time a letter is a match I change it for '*'.
Try by yourself first and then I'll post my solution.

My solution:
def checkLetter(letter, word, guess_word):

for c in word:
        if c == letter:
            guess_word[word.index(c)] = c
            word[word.index(c)] = '*'

return guess_word
That would not work for letters that show more than once in a word. And why are you using camelCase? - it's un-Pythonic
def check_letter(letter, word, guess_word):
    for idx, c in enumerate(word):
        if c == letter:
            guess_word[idx] = c
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
Quote:while '_' in guess_word:

This will keep asking for new guess(letter) until there is no more '_' in the guess_word (the word is formed).

Quote:That would not work for letters that show more than once in a word. And why are you using camelCase? - it's un-Pythonic
Did you check it? I tested with some words and it's ok.
Thanks for the camelCase tip.
(Jun-24-2018, 05:05 PM)gontajones Wrote:
Quote:while '_' in guess_word:

This will keep asking for new guess(letter) until there is no more '_' in the guess_word (the word is formed).

OK, sorry, my mistake - I missed the part that you change the original word (I was talking about checkLetter function) - but calling word.index( c ) is unneeded if you use enumerate - and calling it twice is wasteful. You are building a mechanism that Python provides you under the hood.
Test everything in a Python shell (iPython, Azure Notebook, etc.)
  • Someone gave you an advice you liked? Test it - maybe the advice was actually bad.
  • Someone gave you an advice you think is bad? Test it before arguing - maybe it was good.
  • You posted a claim that something you did not test works? Be prepared to eat your hat.
I wrote a console hangman game a while ago as part of my learning, and came up with this approach:

msg = ''.join([c if c in guesses else '_' for c in word])
where guesses contains all of the letters entered by the players so far and, of course, word is the word they are trying to guess.

After the above process, found = msg == word will indicate whether the player has guessed the word or not.
I am trying to help you, really, even if it doesn't always seem that way

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  eliminating letters when typed in python window deebo 0 1,706 Jan-05-2021, 09:26 AM
Last Post: deebo
  Replacing a words' letters in a string cananb 2 3,404 Dec-01-2020, 06:33 PM
Last Post: perfringo
  Python Hangman Game - Multiple Letters Problem t0rn 4 4,533 Jun-05-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: t0rn
  Hangman metro17 4 2,970 Sep-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Last Post: perfringo
  Trouble coding hangman Tay 1 2,330 Mar-28-2019, 01:57 AM
Last Post: ichabod801
  Hangman code problem KrakowKid 1 2,371 Feb-25-2019, 06:29 PM
  Python hangman help A1395 11 6,969 Feb-13-2019, 04:24 PM
  Replacing all letters in a string apart from the first letter in each word Carbonix 9 4,831 Jan-17-2019, 09:29 AM
Last Post: buran
  Hangman 2skywalkers 3 60,451 Oct-19-2018, 01:49 PM
  Replacing letters on a string via location Owenix 2 2,438 Sep-16-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: gruntfutuk