Python Forum
Python Launcher on my PC?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python Launcher on my PC?
My system is 64 bit but I really am not interested in keeping python if it was installed by a program that I no longer need or use. That's why I am asking for help in trying to figure out what software program installed Python on my system. Once I know then I can then determine if I still want Python on my PC or not.
python is used by so many applications that if you didn't install it yourself, it's hard to say what installed it.
I noticed the SSA node in your path, what is SSA?
SSA is my computer name.
So are you saying that there is no way to get Python to point to the software that it is using it?
Is there a list of software that Python runs under. That way maybe I can find the software that is on my PC.
May I ask you why do you want to remove Python? It takes few tens MB memory on the hdd. The hard disk space is cheap nowadays. Also, it is a very useful tool to not have it in your hand.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Wavic:
For those of you who work with Python, I'm sure it is a great piece of software engineering, and the fact that it takes very little space is nice, but I'm not in the habit of keeping the software on my computer that I didn't install nor need.
This is why I've turned to this forum to help me figure out what piece of installed software placed Python on my system.
If one of my programs needs Python to run properly then I'm more than happy to keep it. If on the other hand, there is no currently installed software on my PC that uses Python, then I want it uninstalled.
Quote:that I didn't install nor need.
This is why I've turned to this forum to help me figure out what piece of installed software placed Python on my system.
Keep in mind that any software that you install comes with baggage. Python is used in literally millions of applications, many that are use every day, including Google, Facebook, Instagram, Spotify, Quora, Netflix, Dropbox, Reddit to name just a few. Others use lisp, C++, VBasic and other languages. Most but not all are self contained. Trying to find out what installed it is a daunting task.

Quote:So are you saying that there is no way to get Python to point to the software that it is using it?
Python is a tool, just like an automobile is a tool. The car doesn't know who's driving it (although that's changing), neither does python care who uses it and for whatever purpose.

Please also be aware that this forum is not in any way connected to python.org.
We are python users, and guess what, python doesn't know, or care about that.
I guess the only way to try to find out which program uses Python is to uninstall it and see what breaks if anything.
Thanks for the help anyway.
That will work, I still don't know why you object to having python installed. It may come in handy.
Windows comes with batch interpreter, vbscript and jscript already installed, Do you want to remove those as well?
Finally, if you ever install Linux, most distributions have some version of python pre-installed. MS windows seems to be
moving in that direction, having recently joined the Linux Foundation.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python Launcher's list of recent files dvs1 0 2,490 Oct-18-2017, 11:50 PM
Last Post: dvs1