Python Forum
Extracting year from a string using strptime and datetime builtin
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extracting year from a string using strptime and datetime builtin
I’m trying to extract the year from a date of a string. One way of doing it would be to use string slicing which is easy and obvious. But I am trying to learn how to extract a year using timedate and strptime().

For example, given a string such as ‘8 Aug, 2015’, I am trying to convert it to a tuple using the strptime() built-in by formatting it with %d %b,%Y and then pull the year off and return it when the function is called.

Here is my script:

from datetime import datetime

def extract_year(date_parm):
   date_string_obj = datetime.strptime(date_parm, "%d %b %Y")
   year_obj = date_string_obj[2]
   return year_obj

print(extract_year('8 Aug 2015'))
Here is my traceback:
Error:
$ python basic_dt_convert.py Traceback (most recent call last): File "basic_dt_convert.py", line 8, in <module> print(extract_year('8 Aug 2015')) File "basic_dt_convert.py", line 5, in extract_year year_obj = date_string_obj[2] TypeError: 'datetime.datetime' object is not subscriptable
The traceback is pointing to line 5 when I am trying to assign the second item in the newly created tuple to a variable. The ‘TypeError: 'datetime.datetime' object is not subscriptable’ means that the date_string_obj can’t be indexed. But my understanding is that date_string_obj should be a tuple which, even though it is immutable, it is still an iterable type so with [2], Python should still be pulling the 3rd index position and assigning it to ‘year_obj’. I’m missing something here.

Could someone clarify what this trace back is saying?

What is a better way of extracting the year from a date given a string using strptime (instead of string slicing)?

I tried replacing line 5 with: year_obj = datetime.date_string_obj.year() so my script now looks like this:

def extract_year(date_parm):
   date_string_obj = datetime.strptime(date_parm, "%d %b %Y")
   year_obj = datetime.date_string_obj.year()
   return year_obj

print(extract_year('8 Aug 2015'))
Now Python is throwing an attribute error at line 5. How do I properly extract the year?

Resources that I have used so far:
The datetime object you assign on line 4 is not a tuple. You don't extract the elements from it by numeric index like a list or tuple.

Instead you either access the attributes of the object (like .year) to pull the individual bits, or you use strftime() to format it it how you want.

d = datetime.strptime('8 Aug 2015', "%d %b %Y")

print(f"The returned item is of type {type(d)}")
print(d.year)  # extracts year as an int
print(d.strftime("%Y")) # extracts year as a string
Output:
The returned item is of type <class 'datetime.datetime'> 2015 2015
Thank you @bowlofred, this helps tremendously. Big Grin

For my future reference, the strptime method is used for “parsing” (which is what the ‘p’ stands for) a date passed in as a string while the strftime method is used to convert a date object into string “formatting” (which is what the ‘f’ stands for). To support this point of clarity, I found an answer on Stack Overflow: “What is the difference between strptime and strftime -python 3”. Interestingly, even the Ruby language has a similar datetime builtin with the two class methods of the exact same name. More details can be found at the SO question and answer titled: “How to understand strptime vs. strftime”.

One last thing, bowlofred: At your line 5, why does print(d.year) produce the desired output while print(d.year()) does not work? The subtle distinction between either statement are the parentheses when calling the year/year() class method. Why does the year class method process successfully without the ()? I ask because in my mind I thought class methods when called always require (). Could someone clarify why () is unnecessary for pulling the year in bowlofred's example script at line 5?
Because year is not a method, it's an attribute (or field). Why did you think year was a method of the datetime class? The docs tell you that it's an attribute.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  subtract 2 datetime string jss 4 706 Oct-19-2023, 02:42 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
Question Extracting Version Number from a String britesc 2 1,030 May-31-2023, 10:20 AM
Last Post: britesc
  Trying to get year not the entire year & time mbrown009 2 862 Jan-09-2023, 01:46 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  String formatting (strptime) issues Henrio 2 811 Jan-06-2023, 06:57 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: 'datetime.datetime' and 'str' findbikash 2 9,512 Sep-18-2019, 08:32 AM
Last Post: buran
  Convert String to Datetime Object tkj80 2 33,696 Apr-20-2017, 08:45 AM
Last Post: volcano63