Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python & Windows XP
Hi all,

Can someone tell me why Pthon 3.5+ can't be run in XP?

Is it the installation procedure or is it the contents of specific libraries ?

Thanks in advance.
Hello, only Pythons up to 3.4 are supported on Windows XP. So you will either have to use a more recent OS to run Python 3.5+, or stick with Python 3.4 on Windows XP.
I couldn't have made the question if I wasn't aware.
My question concerns the WHY.
Probably a question better asked of the Python Software Foundation. My basic understanding is that Python will not support Windows systems that cannot support or does not have the proper version of programs that Python needs. Since Windows XP is dead, it will never be able to meet the requirements of Python 3.5 and higher. Another example would be Windows 7 (another dead horse), which requires Service Pack 1 in order to run 3.6. Note, I've not investigated Windows 7, I'm using anecdotal evidence of members problems.

For a more in depth answer or clarification, as I said, you should probably go straight to the source.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Perhaps is something in the package. How it is packaged for XP.

It's completely normal to drop packaging for a system which is no longer supported. If we follow that logic the development team have to keep the packaging for Win 98 or even 95...?!
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
import datetime
support_end = datetime.date(2014, 4, 8)
timedelta = datetime.date.today() - support_end
years, days = divmod(timedelta.days, 365)
print(f'The support for Windows XP ended {support_end.isoformat()}')
print(f'You are {years} years and {days} days over time!')
print('Please install a modern operating system.')
Output:
The support for Windows XP ended 2014-04-08 You are 3 years and 325 days over time! Please install a modern operating system.
This has been reported as issue25143.
Quote:Installing on an unsupported platform should fail gracefully.

Microsoft has stopped the support for Windows XP 2014-04-08.
I think it's time to install an os, which is supported.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
There are lots of Linux distributions which can run on older machines. Just do a research and try one before install it. And you will be able to have the very recent Python versions.
I don't need any support for an OS that runs flawlessly.

I would rather expect of an open source community not to be bothered by MS's marketing rethoric.
If you take the official privacy agencies seriously (and I do) Windows10 is a greater risk to the user than XP could ever be.

But it seems nobody answered as yet the WHY question (what I asked for).
Simply saying 'don't know', or where to ask/search suffices as an answwer
(Feb-26-2018, 10:21 PM)snb Wrote: But it seems nobody answered as yet the WHY question (what I asked for).

The question was answered and to make it even more simple for you, it is because of software compatibility issues.

Quote:I would rather expect of an open source community not to be bothered by MS's marketing rethoric.
If you take the official privacy agencies seriously (and I do) Windows10 is a greater risk to the user than XP could ever be.

Neither of these statements has any relevance to the question you asked. If you are just looking for a soap box, that's fine, but a better location for that would be the "Bar" forum.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Here is why! Because of someone's decision. If you find who is this guy you could ask him/her furder.