Python Forum
Python app built by converting visual basic macros
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python app built by converting visual basic macros
Hi

I am only just starting to investigate Python to see if it is a language that will do what I need it to do.

I currently have a quiz app built around a Microsoft Excel form using Visual Basic – VBA Macros.

I want to get the app working on the web. There is no way to do this with Excel, so it is going to have to be converted to a different language that will run on the web. Rather than a total rewrite, I would obviously prefer to use some form of conversion/translation to at least do some of the work of converting the vba code.

I believe there are vba to python conversion tools. So I assume they would do much of the work of converting the current visual basic macros. In principle, I would have thought that would reduce the work to then manually programming the connections to python forms and graphs, to replace the connections to Excel forms and graphs.

If this makes any sense, does anyone have any knowledge or experience as to whether these assumptions are correct?

Thanks

Ian.
see: http://www.hartmannsoftware.com/Blog/Art...-in-Python
Hi Larz

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question

I am a little confused. I followed the link. It gave me the 10 most famous programs written in Python and a consulting/training company. It did not seem to have information on converting Excel macros and forms to Python.
Am I missing something?

Thanks again for your time

Ian
Google 'convert excel macros to python'

One result: http://pythonexcels.com/mapping-excel-vb...to-python/
and
discussion about: https://www.reddit.com/r/excel/comments/...to_python/
Hi Larz

Thank you for taking the time to reply

I apologise for taking so long to respond, but I have been away

Yes, I had already Googled conversion of VBA macros to Python. It was the fact that this appeared so easy that I asked the question on this forum. However, the information you identified (as all the google references I can find) simply convert a vba macro to a stand alone Python script. I cannot find any reference to taking an Excel workbook, which has forms with VBA macros, and converting the whole thing into a python app, working with forms. Many other people ask questions on Excel forums as to how to get an excel workbook with macros working on the web. The answer is always "It cannot be done because Microsoft does not support VBA macros on the web".

Given that translating the VBA macros is the hardest part of the job, I am amazed that there is not a way of using a conversion to Python to do the whole job of being able to get an Excel workbook with forms and vba macros working on the web.

Thanks again
Sorry, I haven't used VBA for many years, so perhaps shouldn't have responded at all.
Nevertheless, you should probably go to https://pypi.org/ and search for python packages by keyword as
this repository has at last count 140,034 packages.

Look at modification dates to see if it is actively maintained. Also check the python versions that it supports.
I have been programming since 1968, but during that time, my only use of VBA was for reporting support.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python Coding in Power BI Visual vjrans 0 271 Jan-31-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: vjrans
  Converting python to FileMaker DWolf 6 1,685 Sep-22-2022, 03:40 AM
Last Post: DWolf
  Problem with importing Python file in Visual Studio Code DXav 7 5,065 Jun-15-2022, 12:54 PM
Last Post: snippsat
Photo Visual studio code unable to color syntax on python interpreter tomtom 4 6,862 Mar-02-2022, 01:23 AM
Last Post: tomtom
  Calling python from c++ in visual studio pdk5 0 2,153 May-24-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: pdk5
  Basic python Natters10 3 3,081 Nov-29-2020, 07:04 AM
Last Post: Love2code
  Problems on ''no such file or directory'' in python on Visual studio 2019 504416430 1 3,180 Aug-02-2020, 08:38 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Help with basic python AaronG123 4 2,251 Nov-14-2019, 02:57 PM
Last Post: AaronG123
  Converting python to c# benahmadi 1 2,641 Oct-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  Visual Studio Python 2.2 Source Project bobosamma 5 3,147 Oct-14-2019, 11:19 AM
Last Post: snippsat