Python Forum
Python broken if moved to a different folder
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python broken if moved to a different folder
Hi,

I'm building a installer to redistribute inside my company Scons with some special tools developed in-house. The idea is to have an environment with Python, SCons and our in-house tools independent of any other Python installation. I'm using InnoSetup as installer. We are using Windows OS.

I found that I cannot change the Python installation directory without breaking the "exe's"under %Python%\Scripts. But then I realized that by fixing the shebang of the *-script.py files the problem was solved. So I adapt my Inno scripts to fix this automatically and everything worked ok.

Now I wanted to do a new install with Python 3.8 (prior was Python 3.9) and the problem that I'm encountering is that when I "pip install" scons, I only get a bunch of "exe's" under Scripts and no *-script.py file where I can replace the shebang line.

At the beginning I thought, ok, maybe now I can simply change the Python directory without having to worry about shebang lines, but I foound the same issue, scons.exe will not run if I move the python installation folder.

I spend 4 hours with this issue, googling it and trying different things and anything work.

How can I make pip install to create *-script.pu files? Or how can I make a Python installation that does not depend on the absolute path where Python was installed?
Can you create a "wrapper" script? Have it gather the args passed in, then it sets PYTHONPATH to your installation and calls the correct python exe and passes in the arguments.
(Oct-26-2020, 10:13 PM)bowlofred Wrote: Can you create a "wrapper" script? Have it gather the args passed in, then it sets PYTHONPATH to your installation and calls the correct python exe and passes in the arguments.

I could create a cmd that (for my example), does:

@%~d0%~p0..\python.exe -m SCons %*
But I'm not sure if this is the correct "pythonic" way, apart from having to manually create the .cmd files myself.
I think the point is this: https://python-packaging.readthedocs.io/...ripts.html. How can I make those console scripts turn to be cmd files instead of exe files? Or how can this exe files can work with paths relative to the script and not absolute.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question How to add Python folder in Windows Registry ? Touktouk 1 206 Feb-20-2024, 01:04 PM
Last Post: DeaD_EyE
  Compare folder A and subfolder B and display files that are in folder A but not in su Melcu54 3 466 Jan-05-2024, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Pedroski55
  python gzip all files from a folder mg24 3 3,812 Oct-28-2022, 03:59 PM
Last Post: mg24
  Make a python folder .exe Extra 0 999 Jun-10-2022, 01:20 AM
Last Post: Extra
  Why is copying and pasting a block now broken? WagmoreBarkless 2 1,332 May-05-2022, 05:01 AM
Last Post: WagmoreBarkless
  Why is copying and pasting a block now broken? WagmoreBarkless 1 1,197 May-04-2022, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Compare filename with folder name and copy matching files into a particular folder shantanu97 2 4,390 Dec-18-2021, 09:32 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  BrokenPipeError: [Errno 32] Broken pipe throwaway34 6 8,940 May-06-2021, 05:39 AM
Last Post: throwaway34
  Move file from one folder to another folder with timestamp added end of file shantanu97 0 2,436 Mar-22-2021, 10:59 AM
Last Post: shantanu97
  Python Cut/Copy paste file from folder to another folder rdDrp 4 4,944 Aug-19-2020, 12:40 PM
Last Post: rdDrp