Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python deployment ?
Hi everybody. I'm newbie to Python. My main language is VB6, VB.NET, C # and now I am starting to learn Python so I give these questions if you find too nonsense too you are sympathetic.

1. After writing a program, we will make a installation file and publish to my customers. Customers just install and use. Now, for Python, it's possible to do that kind of thing, or I have to install everything: Python, libraries, etc. to run the program.

2. When using the language of Visual Studio, the project will be compiled to exe file. For Python, how to give an application to the client. If I give them a file .py, the customer can tune the codes.

3. As far as I know, Python mainly be used in scripts. Can I write a complete applications like the VS projects ? If not, then write the program in VS and call the Python script to use (not very sound).

Thank you!
Hello and welcome to Python and the forums!

1. I don't know of any software which would make an installation package from a Python project. But you can use software like Inno setup, NSIS, or any other (also plenty commercial ones) to make an installation package.

2. Python code can be frozen to exe, so you can include the generated files in the installation and user won't need to install Python separately. I believe PyInstaller is the most used program for the job, but there are also cx_freeze and py2exe.
However!!! those exes are pretty much just Python byte-codes bundled into an archive, which is opened and executed by the exe. Therefore, the Python bytecode of the project can be easily extracted by a person with sufficient skills. You can check this thread for a discussion on the matter, and internet will give you some extra info as well.

3. You are right, Python is probably most often used to make scripts. But you can make complete applications with it as well. Which includes database driven applications, desktop GUI applications, MVC websites... Answers to this SO question name a couple of examples, but you can surely find more online.

Good luck!
How to package your python code
see: https://python-packaging.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
Packaging for traditional style installation is pretty common. Take a look at the recent Dropbox blog entries for example as they talk about it there - there main desktop applications (Windows, Linux and macOS are largely written in Python).

I see you have a link to more information already. Have fun.

I should have said technical blog ... http://blogs.dropbox.com/tech/2018/09/ho...ions-ever/
I am trying to help you, really, even if it doesn't always seem that way
for windows you can also use pyinsist to distribute your application
Quote:Pynsist is a tool to build Windows installers for your Python applications. The installers bundle Python itself, so you can distribute your application to people who don’t have Python installed.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Thank All,
It's enough for me to start learning Python ;)
I have worked with Windows in a long time but now I think I have to change to Ubuntu to suit with Python.
Python will run on MS Windows, Linux, or OS X
No need to change unless it's something you want to do for another reason.
(Oct-01-2018, 01:59 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: Python will run on MS Windows, Linux, or OS X
No need to change unless it's something you want to do for another reason.
and on Android (which is basically Linux anyway).
I am trying to help you, really, even if it doesn't always seem that way
and on Android (which is basically Linux anyway).
and on Raspbian
(Oct-01-2018, 10:43 AM)kheokheo Wrote: I have worked with Windows in a long time but now I think I have to change to Ubuntu to suit with Python.
Moving to Linux is a right move in my opinion :-), but "to suit with Python" alone is not a reason.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deployment Issues and installing stevemiske 1 1,751 Mar-27-2020, 04:22 PM
Last Post: stevemiske