Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Python packages - quality
Hello all,

One of more recent topics on this forum (can't recall which one exactly) discussed Python packages. 
It made me wonder, is there any (more or less) agreed upon metric for assessing a Python package quality?
If one requires a new functionality in code (say, working with docx files), it is easy to go to PyPi, search for the term, and get a lot of hits. But surely there are vast differences among packages, in terms of quality, number of features, maintenance...
If the package source is on an open platfrom (GitHub or else) you can see how much maintenance the package receives (and how many maintainers it has). Fairly active maintenance by at least 3 people is usually a good sign. You can of course also find very stable packages that have been written by a single person...
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Maybe ask in a python community of your choice which packages they can recommend for a certain task at hand (say, working with docx files)
(Mar-09-2017, 11:42 AM)Kebap Wrote: Maybe ask in a python community of your choice which packages they can recommend for a certain task at hand (say, working with docx files)

I did a similar thing today. Just went a step further, wondering whether there was a general enough way to get basic clue on package "worthyness" on my own.

Thanks for the tip @Ofnuts.
Hello,

I have a class https://github.com/Larz60p/PyPiInfo which will download
info for all packages.

You can garner information from this module such as (i think) number of
downloads and compare that against other modules of the same type. The
one with the most downloads is (may be?) the winner.

You have to be careful though, just because it's the most popular doesn't mean
it's the best. Case in point Microsoft is more popular than Linux. Best one? You be the judge.
That's good work Larz, I somehow missed this code in case you have presented it before, so thanks for showing.
I believe I now got the answers I needed, thanks all.
The number of downloads may not be an indication of the quality of the package. If it's written long enough and there were no similar packages for a while the downloads could be a really big number.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
@wavic I have taken this into consideration. There aren't too many metrics by which to estimate a package quality, when knowing nothing about it. Number of downloads is just one of the factors, with a limited weight to it.
Quote:Number of downloads is just one of the factors, with a limited weight to it.

Requests download count 11,000,000 downloads every month give a clue that's it's okay  Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing python packages in a virtual environment Led_Zeppelin 1 757 Aug-15-2023, 08:18 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Installation of packages to newest Python version from previous one Andrzej_Andrzej 3 829 Jul-15-2023, 11:32 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  How to create local copies of Python packages so they do not have to be downloaded okhajut 3 2,006 Sep-29-2020, 02:22 PM
Last Post: buran
  python interpreter won't import packages greenpy 1 1,965 Sep-11-2020, 07:47 PM
Last Post: buran
  Best Video Quality And Stream Harshil 2 2,231 Aug-19-2020, 09:03 AM
Last Post: Harshil
  Conversion of Oracle PL/SQL(packages, functions, procedures) to python modules. DivyaKumar 2 6,488 Jul-09-2020, 04:46 PM
Last Post: srikanth7482
  site packages, python 3.8 Dixon 12 6,424 Feb-01-2020, 05:32 PM
Last Post: Dixon
  Site packages, Python 3.8 Dixon 2 2,506 Jan-18-2020, 10:42 PM
Last Post: Dixon
  Python 3.8 or 3.? Trouble installing packages dn237 5 6,786 Oct-25-2019, 07:21 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  How to improve the quality of my code? grobattac37 3 2,477 Jan-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Last Post: ichabod801