Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PythonPath file
I am a beginning python programmer. My computer is running Linux Mint 17.3. I am using IDLE as the development environment. My question is simple. I know how to set a Pythonpath temporarily for a session. I want to include one or two directories in the path permanently. I also understand I can do that by appending the directories to the path file because it is a list. My problem is that I cannot find the file and I have searched with a number of extensions. If someone can tell me where I should start to look I would be very grateful.

Thanks.
PYTHONPATH is an environment variable.  In linux, those are stored in either .bash or .bash_profile or .bashrc in your home directory (/home/your_user_name).  If you're using a file browser, some of them hide files that start with ".", as those are normally "hidden" files.  If you open a console and navigate there ("cd ~"), you can see all files, including hidden ones, with "ls -a".  You can then edit that file using a text editor like nano "nano .bash".

What you add to that file will look similar to the following:

export PYTHONPATH="${PYTHONPATH}:/my/other/path"
Do you want to programatically add these unknown directories to your path, or do you just want to find and add them on your system?
Thanks for the replies. I will look for the file as suggested in the first post. As to second response. I would like to know how to add them programatically but my original question was to modify the file on my system so I could store all my scripts/programs in one place that is not defined with the python install. That is my current goal.

Thanks for the quick response.
OK, I did look through my home directory and looked into all the text files, including hidden ones, and I could not find a file with path contents. Is there a second location where the file may be?
Yes, but you shouldn't change the system files. That's why the code I posted starts with 'PYTHONPATH="${PYTHONPATH}'... you just add your stuff to whatever the path happens to already be. You don't want to actually change it, because then your computer would start behaving... badly.
OK, I'll give it a shot. I misunderstood the reason for the command.
Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to set PYTHONPATH in Visual Studio Code? aupres 5 3,774 Aug-15-2023, 03:51 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  the exe file by generated by pyinstaller ,can't get the PYTHONPATH roger2020 11 6,857 Jan-14-2020, 11:07 AM
Last Post: roger2020
  setting pythonpath variable in environment variables saisankalpj 3 3,427 Dec-05-2018, 10:33 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Interpreter does not consider PYTHONPATH environment variable VegetaSSJ5 2 3,979 Aug-04-2017, 07:03 AM
Last Post: VegetaSSJ5