Python Forum
Question about for loop not creating an infinite loop.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about for loop not creating an infinite loop.
Hi, I'm new to programming with python and I completed one of the exercises of the book I use to learn but I don't understand why this code doesn't make an infinite loop of printing the list. The problem is: Write a function called make_great() that modifies the list of magicians by adding the phrase the Great to each magician’s name. Matthes, Eric. Python Crash Course: A Hands-On, Project-Based Introduction to Programming (p. 150). No Starch Press. Kindle Edition.

magicians = ['xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir']

def make_great(list_of_magicians):
    for magician in list_of_magicians:
        person = list_of_magicians.pop()
        add_text = 'the great ' + person
        list_of_magicians.insert(0, add_text)
        print(list_of_magicians)

make_great(magicians)
This is the output:
Output:
['the great vladimir', 'xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas'] ['the great sylas', 'the great vladimir', 'xerath', 'ryze'] ['the great ryze', 'the great sylas', 'the great vladimir', 'xerath'] ['the great xerath', 'the great ryze', 'the great sylas', 'the great vladimir']
I have tried another solution to this problem by doing this:
magicians = ['xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir']

def make_great(list_of_magicians):
    for magician in list_of_magicians:
        add_text = 'the great ' + magician
        list_of_magicians.insert(0, add_text)
        print(list_of_magicians)

make_great(magicians)
And this is the output:
Output:
['the great xerath', 'xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir'] ['the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir'] ['the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir'] ['the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir'] ['the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'the great xerath', 'xerath', 'ryze', 'sylas', 'vladimir'] -This continues by adding one more element to the list each time.-
Can someone explain to me why this two solutions make different outputs? Thanks ! :D.
The pop method removes the last item from the list, as well as returning that item. So the first loop shrinks the list by one before growing it by one, thus keeping it the same size. The second one has no pop, so items are not removed (iterating with a for loop does not remove items from the list).

Note that modifying a list while you are iterating over it is a bad idea. It works out in the code above, but it doesn't always. A better way to do what your exercise wants is to build a new list:

great_magicians = []
for magician in magicians:
    the_great = 'the great {}'.format(magician)
    great_magicians.append(the_great)
    print(great_magicians)
The format method of strings is recommended over string addition for efficiency reasons. In 3.6 or later, look into f-strings.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Re Try loop for "net use..." failures tester_V 10 447 Mar-02-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: tester_V
  File loop curiously skipping files - FIXED mbk34 10 685 Feb-10-2024, 07:08 AM
Last Post: buran
  Optimise multiply for loop in Python KenBCN 4 428 Feb-06-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Basic binary search algorithm - using a while loop Drone4four 1 309 Jan-22-2024, 06:34 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  loop through csv format from weburl in python maddyad82 3 359 Jan-17-2024, 10:08 PM
  Variable definitions inside loop / could be better? gugarciap 2 375 Jan-09-2024, 11:11 PM
  UART & I2C slow down a loop trix 4 545 Dec-28-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: trix
  Need an alternative to brute force optimization loop jmbonni 5 1,107 Dec-07-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: RockBlok
  Which GUI can have indefinite loop ? jst 20 1,579 Nov-16-2023, 10:23 PM
Last Post: jst
  How to create a variable only for use inside the scope of a while loop? Radical 10 1,526 Nov-07-2023, 09:49 AM
Last Post: buran