Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading every post
(Mar-05-2019, 12:22 AM)metulburr Wrote: I also feel like then we would be constantly adjusting users in those groups.

How is that going to be different than sub-moderators? That's just a different kind of user group, right?
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
but mods can enforce rules and fix posts. Also there would be only one or a few mods per sub forum, whereas user groups could include the entire user base adjusting.
Recommended Tutorials:
Nice change of subject, there. Very smooth. Smile
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
(Mar-03-2019, 03:28 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I think expecting everyone to read everything is just going to lead to burn out. We would be better served by making sure someone is reading everything. That is, split up the areas among the core posters, and make sure each area has double/triple coverage, with extra on General Coding.
Your the one that led the change of subject towards reading posts requires splitting up area, AKA separate user groups or sub forum mods. If either discussion helps get every post read, then its not changing the subject, but fixing the issue.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Mar-04-2019, 09:31 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I was also thinking you could assign sub-forum mods without limiting global mod privileges.
I just came across this when doing something else in adminCP and you can do this. It doesnt change the mod privileges, but just states this person is moderating this sub forum. For example (for the time being) i put myself on game dev forum to show. And i put all mod and admins for gen coding help.

If you guys (mods and admins) want to we can make sure the main ones are covered. I assume we all read gen coding forum. I can tell you right now, i read everything in game dev. I read most if not all in web scraping. I usually stay away from homework and data science.
Recommended Tutorials:
I think being able to tag things as answered would help, especially if mods could tag things (for users that might not look at responses until a month later). Being able to filter out things that still need help would be great.

I used to read everything, but there's just too many posts, and I have less time than I used to lol.
(Mar-19-2019, 08:13 PM)nilamo Wrote: I think being able to tag things as answered would help, especially if mods could tag things (for users that might not look at responses until a month later).
A simple solution would be prefix for [SOLVED] or [ANSWERED[ or whatever. That way both the OP and the mods could put it up. The plugin i believe only the OP can can label it solved.
Recommended Tutorials:
It seems this discussion mixes "moderation" with "python proficiency" and that is not sane.

For moderators, I would assume reading the threads, and making sure there is no spam, utterly offensive behavior, etc. Keeping up the forum rules.

On the other hand, there are proficient users who can answer questions content-wise. They know their module, they have used it for quite some time, and can figure out a solution with the OP.

Both functions sometimes fall into the same person. This was especially true in the beginnings of the forum, when most power users were moderators as well. Still, this is no requirement. In fact, we can have lots moderators who do not answer content questions at all. Maybe this will reduce chances of burn-out and the expected workload from reading (but not answering) many/all threads.
I surely mix it up at times. Sometimes i think i can do more damage than good, by just trying to answer posts because of being on team. Rather than actually knowing the content. Sometimes i go to the extent of answering a post, spending 20 minutes researching and writing it up, then to reread the OP again to realize i didnt even answer it well. I will save as draft and post it if no one else answers with a better solution, but otherwise it goes into oblivion. Its just sometimes i feel bad because people go days with multiple additional posts containing anyone?. Sometimes I think they would rather hear someone say they dont know than no one answer at all.

As a moderator, sometimes i will answer a post with more questions not intending to ever answer it, but allowing someone who does know to get more information so they might not have to do the same (possibly quickening the answer to the OP).

I also think mods should read every post in their chosen sub forum. This is because they could lead the OP to someone who does know. Or link to a location that answers it. Missing required content needed from the OP, etc. Sometimes they have a horrible title that miscalculates their problem and the answer is not related to the library, but basic python. Without at least reading it, that could not be determined. And the mod most likely would be able to answer it then. But just because a mod reads the thread, by all means does not mean they have to answer it.
Recommended Tutorials:
Just like I have accepted GUI ... I am perfectly capable of answering tkinter and/or wxpython questions, but have very little experience with Qt, so will avoid those questions.