Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading every post
I recall (not recently) that oftentimes when someone posts to multiple forums, when they're told not to, they're also told that most regulars read every post anyway. I try to read every post (ignoring the GUI section, and now data science), but recently I find myself falling behind and then struggling to catch up. As I post this, I went through 2.5 pages of unanswered posts and now I have 13 pages of unreads.

Do people still tend to read every post? Does anyone else struggle to keep up?
(Mar-02-2019, 08:32 PM)micseydel Wrote: Do people still tend to read every post? Does anyone else struggle to keep up?
I definitely do. I skip Game Development and most of GUI, but try to go trough all of the rest. And I definitely struggle to keep up. In this case I look at threads I have answered before, unanswered threads and the one that look interesting from the title. Then I just mark rest as read.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Yeah, Game Development is another one I don't look at. For the forums I don't answer questions for, I sometimes look at post in case there's any mod-related stuff I could be doing, but when I'm so far behind like this I definitely mark those forums as read.
(Mar-02-2019, 08:32 PM)micseydel Wrote: Do people still tend to read every post? Does anyone else struggle to keep up?
It deepens of time i have,some days most posts,other days get way behind and then i use mark as read.
I think it's normal,and not expected by nobody(Admin/Mod) to keep up with all Doh
Or daily load is now high.
Averages:
  • Posts per day: 77.01
  • Threads per day: 15.58
I don't even try to read everything. I read everything in Homework, Game Development, Bar, and Admin. I skim General Coding for unanswered or interesting titles, or only one response not from someone I know can give decent answers. I'm trying to tool up to cover Data Science.

I think expecting everyone to read everything is just going to lead to burn out. We would be better served by making sure someone is reading everything. That is, split up the areas among the core posters, and make sure each area has double/triple coverage, with extra on General Coding.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
It's times like this I wish we had a robust system for keeping track of answered vs unanswered questions. The answered questions I'd know I can skim more quickly. Might be worth looking into a plugin at some point.
Hi, I am sort of new to coding, I dont really understand much of the technical jargon so I find the hardest part the title
Quote:and the one that look interesting from the title.
when I read something like this I feel disheartened, How to put together an interesting title when you haven't a clue what you are doing? I see your point about dividing up the work load between you, and I can understand that reading every post is impossible, especially when from the title you can see the question has been asked before and the person has not looked properly, (I imagine many of my posts appear that way), But when somebody does take a little bit of their time to answer, it is really is uplifting, so even if you dont look at all the posts, please take a look at mine even if the title is incomprehensible!!! Big Grin
Up until probably 2 months ago, I read every post, but then I decided that I would read all that have 0 responses, and those with just one response (because the response may have been instructions requesting further information). As for the others, I may skim them very quickly to make sure they are being handled properly, and that's all. Usually if I see two or more responses, I mark as read. Traffic has increased quite a bit recently, and that has something to do with it. Occasionally I still read them all.
Holy crap you guys are reading every post? That's a lot of post readin'. Anyway it does make me want to ask; why omit game development? Or data science?
There is no omission. As admins and moderators, we can see all unread posts, and number of responses to that post.
None are bypassed, by all, and only by any particular moderator when we see that someone else is attending to the post.

What we are talking about here is reading every single post, including those already being attended by other mods.