Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reading every post
(Mar-04-2019, 05:32 PM)bennylava Wrote: why omit game development? Or data science?

I think things people are omitting are based on area of expertise. If they don't know much about pandas and the other data science libraries, they're not going to be able to provide useful help. So they put their effort where they can provide useful help. Python is just too big for anyone to be able to understand all of it.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I surely dont read everything. I did a long time ago. But lately there are too many posts. A lot of them is in areas i dont know much about either. I do skim every title and its location though. I pick out what i can answer or add to based on the title alone. Sometimes i will investigate further if its unclear, but if i know i cant answer it, i dont even bother reading it.

(Mar-02-2019, 09:52 PM)micseydel Wrote: Yeah, Game Development is another one I don't look at.
I usually prioritize game dev first before others.

(Mar-03-2019, 09:51 PM)pascale Wrote: Hi, I am sort of new to coding, I dont really understand much of the technical jargon so I find the hardest part the title
Quote:and the one that look interesting from the title.
when I read something like this I feel disheartened, How to put together an interesting title when you haven't a clue what you are doing? I see your point about dividing up the work load between you, and I can understand that reading every post is impossible, especially when from the title you can see the question has been asked before and the person has not looked properly, (I imagine many of my posts appear that way), But when somebody does take a little bit of their time to answer, it is really is uplifting, so even if you dont look at all the posts, please take a look at mine even if the title is incomprehensible!!! Big Grin
I am more apt to answer someone's question if they put in the work of a good post. Making sure they use code tags, what they have tried, what they did, show tracebacks, give enough to answer the question. Sometimes it feels like you have to pull teeth from users to get the proper info required to even answer the question. In those cases their posts get on the back burner if there are a lot. But just because someone make a great posts doesnt mean i can answer it. I think that is why i like the "who viewed the thread counter". Because then you know people have at least viewed your thread....even though they might not be able to answer it.

(Mar-03-2019, 03:28 PM)ichabod801 Wrote: I think expecting everyone to read everything is just going to lead to burn out. We would be better served by making sure someone is reading everything. That is, split up the areas among the core posters, and make sure each area has double/triple coverage, with extra on General Coding.
This is a good idea. This is how larger forums handle it. If we are getting large enough, then maybe we should follow suit too. Are you talking about assigning each of us to "read" each sub-forum posts? Or keeping everyone currently on team a super mod of all forums, and creating new sub-forum mods (from newer users) for each forum? Sub-forum mods have mod access to that specific forum, but not elsewhere.

(Mar-04-2019, 05:32 PM)bennylava Wrote: why omit game development? Or data science?
Its just what that specific mod or admin is not well versed in.

(Mar-03-2019, 09:14 PM)micseydel Wrote: It's times like this I wish we had a robust system for keeping track of answered vs unanswered questions. The answered questions I'd know I can skim more quickly. Might be worth looking into a plugin at some point.
im a little confused by this? What more could there be? How could you more organize unanswered posts?
Recommended Tutorials:
(Mar-04-2019, 09:11 PM)metulburr Wrote:
micseydel Wrote:It's times like this I wish we had a robust system for keeping track of answered vs unanswered questions. The answered questions I'd know I can skim more quickly. Might be worth looking into a plugin at some point.
im a little confused by this? What more could there be? How could you more organize unanswered posts?
Sorry, I didn't intend to mean unanswered as in having no replies, I meant to a satisfactory answer for the poster. Fairly often, people don't get an answer to a thread which has had some activity but reached an impasse. There are replies but the OP's question isn't answered to their satisfaction.
(Mar-04-2019, 09:15 PM)micseydel Wrote:
(Mar-04-2019, 09:11 PM)metulburr Wrote:
micseydel Wrote:It's times like this I wish we had a robust system for keeping track of answered vs unanswered questions. The answered questions I'd know I can skim more quickly. Might be worth looking into a plugin at some point.
Sorry, I didn't intend to mean unanswered as in having no replies, I meant to a satisfactory answer for the poster. Fairly often, people don't get an answer to a thread which has had some activity but reached an impasse. There are replies but the OP's question isn't answered to their satisfaction.
There was a plugin i installed that marked the thread as answered, but everyone voted it out. The OP is the one that marks it answered. So that would in theory fix that issue.

Quote:MySupport (0.5)
Add features to your forum to help with giving support. Allows you to mark a thread as solved or technical, assign threads to users, give threads priorities, mark a post as the best answer in a thread, and more to help you run a support forum.
Created by MattRogowski
https://mods.mybb.com/view/mysupport
https://github.com/MattRogowski/MySupport

Based on whatever our decision was too
https://python-forum.io/misc.php?action=help&hid=39
Quote:The use [SOLVED] tags. We dont want to take the responsibility to organize it. Most threads on our forum do get an answer.

our discussion
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Mark-post...=mysupport

our poll
https://python-forum.io/polls.php?action...ults&pid=5

But you guys didnt give me time to tweak it the way we want it. That was just the default setup.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Mar-04-2019, 09:13 PM)metulburr Wrote: Are you talking about assigning each of us to "read" each sub-forum posts? Or keeping everyone currently on team a super mod of all forums, and creating new sub-forum mods (from newer users) for each forum? Sub-forum mods have mod access to that specific forum, but not elsewhere.

I posted that with no clear idea on how formal we wanted/needed to be about it. I was also thinking you could assign sub-forum mods without limiting global mod privileges.
I wish you happiness.
(Mar-04-2019, 09:31 PM)ichabod801 Wrote:
(Mar-04-2019, 09:13 PM)metulburr Wrote: Are you talking about assigning each of us to "read" each sub-forum posts? Or keeping everyone currently on team a super mod of all forums, and creating new sub-forum mods (from newer users) for each forum? Sub-forum mods have mod access to that specific forum, but not elsewhere.
I posted that with no clear idea on how formal we wanted/needed to be about it. I was also thinking you could assign sub-forum mods without limiting global mod privileges.
There is only global mod and forum mods. You could just make global mods just focus more on their assigned sub forum. But they have a specific sub forum mod that has mod privileges to only that forum so you can put more "untrusted" people on i guess. I think the idea is if the person is mod only to the one forum, then they focus on that. A mod for each sub forum, and global mods to move all around. I wouldnt want to demote anyone. So it would seem the only answer is to promote new sub forum mods that are fluent in that type of programming of that specific sub forum?
Recommended Tutorials:
Couldn't we make some groups? What if we made guru groups, people who are recognized as having skills in the area and who have volunteered to read that area closely. It seems there are some possibilities for making group memberships visible, so that others could recognize them (sorry, although I am an admin, I'm not really up on what could be done as an admin for this forum software). Then we could sign people up for different sub-forms without interfering with mod privileges or even granting them. We could keep an eye on those groups to see if there are still active users giving coverage to those areas.
I wish you happiness.
I could be an expert on spectroscopy, but I don't think I'd get many visitors.
I fear that people would go immediately to a guru forum, why waste time in General Coding Help
(Mar-04-2019, 11:04 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I fear that people would go immediately to a guru forum, why waste time in General Coding Help

I was thinking there would be general gurus as well. There would be a guru group for every sub-forum in the Python Coding category.
I wish you happiness.
i dont know. I worry about guru user groups would make those not in any group have less merit in their posts. I also feel like then we would be constantly adjusting users in those groups.
Recommended Tutorials: