Python Forum
Recognize text from number plate
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recognize text from number plate
Hello, I am beginner in python development and data sciences and i am doing project of recognize number plate i have been trained own tensorflow model with own datasets and successfully detect but how i get text OCR not recognize number plate text please help me. Sad
code please
(Aug-25-2019, 10:46 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: code please

I am using OCR simply and that was read text but this code i took from github and change one or two line of code and then try and accuracy was not good read some character wrong.

import cv2
import numpy as np
import os

import DetectChars
import DetectPlates
import PossiblePlate

# module level variables ##########################################################################
SCALAR_BLACK = (0.0, 0.0, 0.0)
SCALAR_WHITE = (255.0, 255.0, 255.0)
SCALAR_YELLOW = (0.0, 255.0, 255.0)
SCALAR_GREEN = (0.0, 255.0, 0.0)
SCALAR_RED = (0.0, 0.0, 255.0)

showSteps = False

###################################################################################################
def main():

blnKNNTrainingSuccessful = DetectChars.loadKNNDataAndTrainKNN()         # attempt KNN training

if blnKNNTrainingSuccessful == False:                               # if KNN training was not successful
        print("\nerror: KNN traning was not successful\n")  # show error message
        return                                                          # and exit program
    # end if

imgOriginalScene  = cv2.imread("p.jpg")               # open image
    # exit()

if imgOriginalScene is None:                            # if image was not read successfully
        print("\nerror: image not read from file \n\n")  # print error message to std out
        os.system("pause")                                  # pause so user can see error message
        return                                              # and exit program
    # exit()
    # end if

listOfPossiblePlates = DetectPlates.detectPlatesInScene(imgOriginalScene) # detect plates
    # exit()

listOfPossiblePlates = DetectChars.detectCharsInPlates(listOfPossiblePlates)        # detect chars in plates
    # print(listOfPossiblePlates)
    # exit()

cv2.imshow("imgOriginalScene", imgOriginalScene)            # show scene image

if len(listOfPossiblePlates) == 0:                          # if no plates were found
        print("\nno license plates were detected\n")  # inform user no plates were found
    else:                                                       # else
                # if we get in here list of possible plates has at leat one plate

# sort the list of possible plates in DESCENDING order (most number of chars to least number of chars)
        listOfPossiblePlates.sort(key = lambda possiblePlate: len(possiblePlate.strChars), reverse = True)

# suppose the plate with the most recognized chars (the first plate in sorted by string length descending order) is the actual plate
        licPlate = listOfPossiblePlates[0]
        # print(licPlate)
        # exit()

# cv2.imshow("imgPlate", licPlate.imgPlate)           # show crop of plate and threshold of plate
        # cv2.imshow("imgThresh", licPlate.imgThresh)

if len(licPlate.strChars) == 0:                     # if no chars were found in the plate
            print("\nno characters were detected\n\n")  # show message
            return                                          # and exit program
        # end if

drawRedRectangleAroundPlate(imgOriginalScene, licPlate)             # draw red rectangle around plate

print("\nlicense plate read from image = " + licPlate.strChars + "\n")  # write license plate text to std out
        print("----------------------------------------")

writeLicensePlateCharsOnImage(imgOriginalScene, licPlate)           # write license plate text on the image
        print(imgOriginalScene)

cv2.imshow("imgOriginalScene", imgOriginalScene)                # re-show scene image

cv2.imwrite("imgOriginalScene.png", imgOriginalScene)           # write image out to file

# end if else

cv2.waitKey(0)					# hold windows open until user presses a key

return
# end main

###################################################################################################
def drawRedRectangleAroundPlate(imgOriginalScene, licPlate):

p2fRectPoints = cv2.boxPoints(licPlate.rrLocationOfPlateInScene)            # get 4 vertices of rotated rect

cv2.line(imgOriginalScene, tuple(p2fRectPoints[0]), tuple(p2fRectPoints[1]), SCALAR_RED, 2)         # draw 4 red lines
    cv2.line(imgOriginalScene, tuple(p2fRectPoints[1]), tuple(p2fRectPoints[2]), SCALAR_RED, 2)
    cv2.line(imgOriginalScene, tuple(p2fRectPoints[2]), tuple(p2fRectPoints[3]), SCALAR_RED, 2)
    cv2.line(imgOriginalScene, tuple(p2fRectPoints[3]), tuple(p2fRectPoints[0]), SCALAR_RED, 2)
# end function

def writeLicensePlateCharsOnImage(imgOriginalScene, licPlate):
    ptCenterOfTextAreaX = 0                             # this will be the center of the area the text will be written to
    ptCenterOfTextAreaY = 0

ptLowerLeftTextOriginX = 0                          # this will be the bottom left of the area that the text will be written to
    ptLowerLeftTextOriginY = 0

sceneHeight, sceneWidth, sceneNumChannels = imgOriginalScene.shape
    plateHeight, plateWidth, plateNumChannels = licPlate.imgPlate.shape

intFontFace = cv2.FONT_HERSHEY_SIMPLEX                      # choose a plain jane font
    fltFontScale = float(plateHeight) / 30.0                    # base font scale on height of plate area
    intFontThickness = int(round(fltFontScale * 1.5))           # base font thickness on font scale

textSize, baseline = cv2.getTextSize(licPlate.strChars, intFontFace, fltFontScale, intFontThickness)        # call getTextSize

# unpack roatated rect into center point, width and height, and angle
    ( (intPlateCenterX, intPlateCenterY), (intPlateWidth, intPlateHeight), fltCorrectionAngleInDeg ) = licPlate.rrLocationOfPlateInScene

intPlateCenterX = int(intPlateCenterX)              # make sure center is an integer
    intPlateCenterY = int(intPlateCenterY)

ptCenterOfTextAreaX = int(intPlateCenterX)         # the horizontal location of the text area is the same as the plate

if intPlateCenterY < (sceneHeight * 0.75):                                                  # if the license plate is in the upper 3/4 of the image
        ptCenterOfTextAreaY = int(round(intPlateCenterY)) + int(round(plateHeight * 1.6))      # write the chars in below the plate
    else:                                                                                       # else if the license plate is in the lower 1/4 of the image
        ptCenterOfTextAreaY = int(round(intPlateCenterY)) - int(round(plateHeight * 1.6))      # write the chars in above the plate
    # end if

textSizeWidth, textSizeHeight = textSize                # unpack text size width and height

ptLowerLeftTextOriginX = int(ptCenterOfTextAreaX - (textSizeWidth / 2))           # calculate the lower left origin of the text area
    ptLowerLeftTextOriginY = int(ptCenterOfTextAreaY + (textSizeHeight / 2))          # based on the text area center, width, and height

# write the text on the image
    cv2.putText(imgOriginalScene, licPlate.strChars, (ptLowerLeftTextOriginX, ptLowerLeftTextOriginY), intFontFace, fltFontScale, SCALAR_YELLOW, intFontThickness)
# end function

if __name__ == "__main__":
    main()
I'm not vouching for this package (I have not used it), but it looks like it's professionally done, and well documented and updated last on July 2nd. Worth trying out.

https://github.com/Calamari-OCR/calamari

There are others that you can investigate here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=ocr
(Aug-26-2019, 07:20 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: I'm not vouching for this package (I have not used it), but it looks like it's professionally done, and well documented and updated last on July 2nd. Worth trying out.

https://github.com/Calamari-OCR/calamari

There are others that you can investigate here: https://pypi.org/search/?q=ocr

Thanks, I will use it and then feedback about that links.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to recognize negative in a text? AlekseyPython 1 1,842 Oct-06-2021, 10:09 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Read data, recognize trends and send report vin0001 1 2,121 Oct-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Last Post: buran
  Imported csv, column text converted to number but not summing Ecniv 4 2,893 Jun-21-2019, 02:03 PM
Last Post: Ecniv