Python Forum
Registration security questions messed up?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Registration security questions messed up?
Hi,

is it intended that the security questions for this forum are kinda messed up?

I consider myself a reasonable human but wasn't able to answer most of the questions because they include strange characters which makes it impossible to give the right answer.

Just to inform you in case you didn't know.

Regards!
There are a varying number of easy and hard questions. The purpose of this is to break spam bots that automatically create accounts. If you come across one that is too hard for you, simply choose to refresh. Maybe you by chance got a few hard ones in a row. Some are trick questions. There is also some simplified leet speak to throw off bots as well. And there is always one active philosophical question which has no answer and must be refreshed.

If i recall correctly, there were only ASCII printable characters in there. No extended characters at all. So i am not sure what strange characters you are referring to?

Initially my questions where python related, but was voted out as people come here to learn python. That would require them to Google something about Python to ever create an account. This method is the universal language of math. I tested them on my 8 year old and she successfully was able to pass each one.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Aug-31-2019, 11:24 PM)metulburr Wrote: There are a varying number of easy and hard questions. The purpose of this is to break spam bots that automatically create accounts. If you come across one that is too hard for you, simply choose to refresh. Maybe you by chance got a few hard ones in a row. Some are trick questions. There is also some simplified leet speak to throw off bots as well. And there is always one active philosophical question which has no answer and must be refreshed.

If i recall correctly, there were only ASCII printable characters in there. No extended characters at all. So i am not sure what strange characters you are referring to?

Initially my questions where python related, but was voted out as people come here to learn python. That would require them to Google something about Python to ever create an account. This method is the universal language of math. I tested them on my 8 year old and she successfully was able to pass each one.

Thanks for your answer. Just to show you some of your questions: https://imgur.com/a/N70X4qe

I apologize but this is hilarious. This is a protection against humans, not spam bots.

Didn't you try it yourself?

edit: if this is intended I recommend closing the registration process.
You take 4 apples, how many do you have/hold?

And NO, I do NOT recommend to close this registration process.
It is somehow an IQ test imho.
If you take away 4 apples, then you have 4 apples. It is not 6-4=2
The following one is 3 + eleven in leet speak so bots give 6 instead of the proper answer.
If the monkey eats all the fruit, then you have 0. Bananas are a fruit.
The sum ones you just split out all characters.
And the friend one is the philosophy one currently active.

these are questions that make you think instead of mindlessly answering them. For example:
How many times can you subtract the number 5 from 25?
You would quickly come up with the answer as 5, but that is wrong. The answer is once. After the first calculation you will be subtracting 5 from 20, then 5 from 15, and so on.
Recommended Tutorials:
I would take the f's out of the sum of the numbers. As a programmer, 2f looks like a number to me.

Otherwise I think they're fine.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Registration issues Kebap 2 4,560 Oct-11-2016, 10:45 AM
Last Post: Kebap
  Are the security questions for registration necessary Mekire 5 11,391 Sep-13-2016, 03:27 PM
Last Post: metulburr