Python Forum
Resources on Learning Python
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Resources on Learning Python
written by allen downey, prof at Olin College (Needham MA, USA) ... Yes same as the book.
(Dec-06-2020, 10:11 PM)Larz60+ Wrote: written by allen downey, prof at Olin College (Needham MA, USA) ... Yes same as the book.

I think the online version is more up to date. I'm not sure.

I can't seem to find The Python Tutorial by Guido Van Rossum.

Can you point me in the direction? I tried searching for it but couldn't find it. It's not included in my Python installation.

This book here is outdated. This is not the same as this one here

Which one should I go through?

Thanks
Quote:I can't seem to find The Python Tutorial by Guido Van Rossum.

I think this link to the updated documents from Guido Van Rossum might offer some help.
Click here.

You can read the "Current Docs" section, I found this to be very helpful in learning Python 3x.

A current read for "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" 2020 edition can be found and downloaded here.
Google (verbatim): Van Rossum site:python.org/doc/essays/

I didn't search the list, but it should be there (if still on python.org)
Have you ever heard of Real Python? They seem to have some nice tutorials. Membership costs monthly.
Quote:Have you ever heard of Real Python? They seem to have some nice tutorials. Membership costs monthly.
I have, they seem OK, though I haven't spent much time looking.

Since I give most everything I write away for free, I tend to stay away from pay sites, with the exception of specialized sites, such as Miguel Grinbergs Flask tutorial which was worth every cent (and more) of the $40 that I paid.

I am in my mid 70's and have written code for pay since 1968. I feel that for the rest of my life I will give some of that back, so long as my mind can stay on course.
Wow! I thought I was going to be one of the oldest on here. I am 53 and started web development in the early 90's using classic ASP and Cold Fusion, believe it or not. I used development as a tool to create many online successful businesses. I didn't have the money to pay someone so I learned it myself. I just considered it a necessary tool. My specialties are SEM marketing.

My first successful site was a sunglasses site in 1998. By successful on my first try I mean, I didn't lose money and made some.

Anyway, my main job is as an Internet Consultant. But, I want to learn Python because of its flexibility. Scraping data from a site then storing it into a database is one thing I need Python for.

I don't understand the AI aspect of it. If it's a feature or an implementation?

There are some things I do not like about Python. Because it is a loosely typed language, there is more room for errors. I don't understand why things like decorators even exist. I know what they do but do see a big need for them. It's difficult to get the abstraction I need in Python without the keywords like abstract, private, overrides, overridable, etc.. And, No interfaces. My main languages was C#. However, I am sure I will see the power of Python as I learn. I would assume, Google and other search engines use Python to build their spiders, such as Googlebot.

Sorry for babbling but I get excited when I see people older than myself who have more experience.

(Dec-05-2020, 08:04 PM)muzikman Wrote: I think the second site you recommended is a lot more confusing. I think it might be using deprecated keywords, etc...

Take this section Here

Is all of this stuff in the current version of Python? The preferred method is at the bottom.

I am getting confused. :)

(Dec-09-2020, 02:06 AM)Larz60+ Wrote:
Quote:Have you ever heard of Real Python? They seem to have some nice tutorials. Membership costs monthly.
I have, they seem OK, though I haven't spent much time looking.

Since I give most everything I write away for free, I tend to stay away from pay sites, with the exception of specialized sites, such as Miguel Grinbergs Flask tutorial which was worth every cent (and more) of the $40 that I paid.

I am in my mid 70's and have written code for pay since 1968. I feel that for the rest of my life I will give some of that back, so long as my mind can stay on course.
(Dec-08-2020, 05:27 PM)DT2000 Wrote:

I think this link to the updated documents from Guido Van Rossum might offer some help.
Click here.

You can read the "Current Docs" section, I found this to be very helpful in learning Python 3x.

A current read for "How to Think Like a Computer Scientist" 2020 edition can be found and downloaded here.
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you.
Quote:Because it is a loosely typed language, there is more room for errors.
Just like life itself.

I guess my main language was 'C', but many others before that. When I started, schools didn't have any computer language programs.

Everyone called any computer an 'IBM' no matter who made it.
My first non-engineering job was at a company that had a Honeywell 1000 computer, in a cooled room with lettering 'IBM Room' on the door.
muzikman likes this post
I have been reading the pdf book Think Like a Scientist. Here are a list of pros and cons.

Cons:

This could also be a pro but there is a lot of theoretical math that he speaks about. Good things I took all the CS Math courses.
The exercises at the end of each chapter lack more descriptive ways on how and what to use in the exercise.

Pros:

He is more concerned with writing code that is easier for someone to understand than taking a little hit on performance.
He also uses a lot of primitive data types, instead of using the built in functions that can decrease performance. Why use the
sum()
function when you can just use a running total such as
sum =+ num
#Substitute internal functions when you can, e.g. math.squrt(2.0) is the same as

num = 2.0 ** 0.5
I really like that a lot.

He likes to stay away from complex conditional and logical expressions. He doesn't recommend using the "not" keyword.
He also has some nice little tricks about programming in general. Things like #Intialize variables with condition included

sword_check = sword_charge >= 0.90
shield_check = shield_energy >= 100

if sword_check and shield_check:
   print("The dragon crumples in a heap. You rescue the gorgeous princess!")
else:
   print("Your attack has no effect, the dragon fries you to a crisp!")
Basically, he gives a different perspective from a mathematician. This really helps when wanting to use primitive data types instead of internal functions.

I recommend this book to most everyone. However, if you are a beginner with no programming experience at all; I would suggest something else.