Python Forum
Run interpreter from Network?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run interpreter from Network?
Good day, let me first apologize for any incorrect terminology below. I'm neither a python user nor a network engineer. I hope there is enough detail in my query, but if not, I'm happy to answer whatever questions I can.

I am currently working on a project that is a hybrid between VBA, SQL, and Python. It was originally written entirely in VBA and SQL, but I was hoping to take advantage of some python libraries to help with some of the heavy lifting (that is, serve as the engine component of the end to end we're building).

The handshakes between the two sides are largely worked out, but I'm fearing a bit of an implementation problem and am hopeful there is a reasonable solution. With users in various locations with different versions of python installed (or, like myself, none at all) and the complexities involved in getting compatible versions running across so many PC's, I'd like to explore the possibility of installing python and the required libraries on a network drive, but I'm getting various responses from my teammates.

Everybody involved has a PC with Windows 10, and the same version of Excel (2016, 64 bit). We all have access to the same network drives, and I can pass the path to the executable and arguments from VBA to launch the python script. Since the network drives are on the same domain, there is no issue with firewalls. We do not anticipate multiple people running the scripts simultaneously, if that makes a difference.

So - is it possible to install some version of python and the required libraries to a shared network drive/repository, and have it run as it would on an individual PC?

Thanks for any feedback!
This sounds more like an OS-level question than a Python question. If I had this task, I'd try it out and experiment, it seems like a cheap test to run and I think that'll give you your best answer.
micseydel - thank you for the feedback and suggestion. I am really, really bad at anything related to python, so the trial and error would probably not be too beneficial as I wouldn't know if any problems encountered were OS, installation, Python itself, or some other cause. I also didn't want to risk damaging anything on the network that so many people rely on, so I figured the best first stop would be to come here and ask if anybody knows if it can or cannot be done at all.

Thank you again!
Hm! A Linux box, a user and a password for everyone and ssh?
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org