Python Forum
Run jupyter notbook in background
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run jupyter notbook in background
OS Ubuntu linux

I am trying to get jupyter notebook to run in the background.

I first tried:
jupyter notebook &
but it ignores it and runs the output in the terminal.

This works to an extent...
jupyter notebook &> /dev/null &
as it kills the output. It would seem to also put in the background on normal processes, but does not work as expected with jupyter notebook. If you kill the terminal at any point, for example, you are unable to create a new notebook and just get back error (thats all its says).

The only way i am able to berid of any terminal while using jupyter notebook is to start the process in a tmux session and detach. Which seems kinda ridiculous to have to do if you do not want the output and terminal

Or is there an alternative to jupyter notebook? I am only using it to display tables better with pandas. I am not sure of whether other IDE's are capable of similar actions?
Recommended Tutorials:
I've been using jupyterlab, It has a lot more to offer, and includes notebook. I don't know if it will help with running in background.
tps://blog.jupyter.org/jupyterlab-is-ready-for-users-5a6f039b8906
JupyterLab has many more option,i have used JupyterLab for a while now.
Jupyter Lab: Evolution of the Jupyter Notebook
Quote:JupyterLab terminal provides full support for system shells (bash, tsch, etc.) on Mac/Linux and PowerShell on Windows.
We can run anything in our system shell with a terminal, including programs such as vim or emacs.

metulburr Wrote:I am not sure of whether other IDE's are capable of similar actions?
VS Code can render NoteBook inline with adding #%% comment
Would disown, nohup or setsid make difference?
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
Thanks for the tip on jupyter lab

and yes this worked, thanks!
nohup jupyter lab &
Recommended Tutorials:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jupyter notebooks, jupyter kernels, virtual environment created in Anaconda... bytecrunch 8 2,134 Nov-05-2023, 06:38 PM
Last Post: snippsat