Python Forum
Running Python via Anaconda?
Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Running Python via Anaconda?
I am rather new to Python. I recently installed Anaconda, after I had already installed a regular Python command line. Anaconda came with many new packages that I needed to use for an online course, as well as its own Python command line.

Is there any reason why I should keep the previous command line of Python that I already had installed outside of Anaconda? Are there any functions that that version of Python can perform which the Anaconda one can't? E.g. perhaps certain packages that can be installed on the OS command line but not the Anaconda one?
(Oct-10-2017, 07:13 PM)Athenaeum Wrote: Is there any reason why I should keep the previous command line of Python that I already had installed outside of Anaconda?

The better question is "Is there any reason to keep Anaconda?" All packages are made for Python, Anaconda simply comes with certain ones pre-installed.

(Oct-10-2017, 07:13 PM)Athenaeum Wrote: Are there any functions that that version of Python can perform which the Anaconda one can't?

Depends on the version of Python you installed and the version being used by Anaconda. As a new user, you should be using the latest Python 3.6.3.  Anaconda doesn't add anything to the language itself. I suppose it boils down to this, if you have a specific goal in mind (such as your class), Anaconda is fine. If your goal is more general in nature, just use Python and import any third party packages as needed.

(Oct-10-2017, 07:13 PM)Athenaeum Wrote: perhaps certain packages that can be installed on the OS command line but not the Anaconda one?

As I said, all packages are made for Python and can be installed with pip install package_name

In short, Python will work without Anaconda, but Anaconda will not work without Python :-D
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
There is one good reason for one to use Anaconda. It comes with lots of packages preinstalled or not any ( miniconda ) however all that just works. If you install a library using conda command line it just works.  No missing dependensies or something else.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Not saying Anaconda is a bad tool, in fact if your into data science, it's probably a great tool. What I am saying is if the only reason you are using it is simply for an online class, it would be better to just use Python itself.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
I am taking classes because I want to enter into data science. I have had trouble installing packages (the issue with some of them is installing them, not import/loading them) with the main OS Python version, that came pre-installed with Anaconda. The only way that I can find to use these packages is through Anaconda since I can't install them via OS Python.
If you plan on running virtual environment, you don't want to be running anaconda,
or your application is going to carry the baggage of all the packages.
One of the reasons to use a virtual environment for a package is that it will only have
what is needed and makes for easy distribution.

Other than that, it's probably fine, especially if yo are learning.
(although in my humble opinion, learning how to install packages is a good exercise)

Do they keep up to date with the latest releases of python?
(Oct-11-2017, 12:10 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: If you plan on running virtual environment, you don't want to be running anaconda, or your application is going to carry the baggage of all the packages.
No Anaconda has own installer equal to pip,which is conda.
conda is really good.
Create a virtual environment with specific packages of choice scipy,pandas,requests.
conda create -n myenv scipy pandas requests
In that environment can use both conda and pip to install into it.
Environment can also be shared with with someone else bye exported a .yml file.
conda env export > environment.yml
Example of .yml file:
name: myenv
dependencies:
  - python=3.6 #or eg 2.7
  - scipy
  - pandas
  - requests
There also miniconda that comes without all packages.
So there can choose what to install with both conda or pip.

Athenaeum Wrote:I can find to use these packages is through Anaconda since I can't install them via OS Python.
You can install to OS Python,if you know how.
I did write something about it in your other post,but we had security trouble so some post where gone.
To take it again,example for scipy you need to use wheel from Gohlke.
Here for 32-bit Python and 3.6.
Doing this will scipy work on OS Python
pip install numpy‑1.13.3+mkl‑cp36‑cp36m‑win32.whl
pip install scipy‑1.0.0rc1‑cp36‑cp36m‑win32.whl

Your other question was that you had trouble to installing a package into Anaconda.
conda install some_package 
If conda can not find that package,you can use pip(which also comes with Anaconda).
pip install some_package 
Remember that this pip has nothing to do about OS Python,all is totally separated.
Start Anaconda Prompt:
(g:\Anaconda3) C:\>pip -V
pip 9.0.1 from g:\Anaconda3\lib\site-packages (python 3.6)

(g:\Anaconda3) C:\>conda -V
conda 4.3.24
Remember there is a navigator,for easy access to Notebook and Editor(Spyder) all use Anaconda and not OS Python.
[Image: ieRhfa.jpg]
Maybe I should give it a go
Pardon my ignorance, but what is OS Python?
I am trying to help you, really, even if it doesn't always seem that way
(Oct-11-2017, 12:09 PM)gruntfutuk Wrote: Pardon my ignorance, but what is OS Python?

Anaconda is like closed eco-system, i.e. distribution with its own python interpreter, packages, package management system, etc.
and OS Python, I think refer to pure Python distribution installed system-wide - e.g.  on Windows - downloaded from https://www.python.org/downloads/