Python Forum
Running Sql query stored in CSV file
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Running Sql query stored in CSV file
Hi All,
I am developing one piece of code where I need to query oracle database and save result of query .

Query will be stored in CSV format at some local place . Python code should read query from local place and execute this.

How can I do this ? Can somebody help on this .

I donot want to hard code sql query inside python script because as per requirement we need to change the where clause again and again. I want to keep it in separate place and want to call from Python.

Can Somebody give me hint on this ??
We are glad to help, but we are not going to do it for you. You need to read about working with files. Here is short tutorial on the topic
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Basic-Files
Thanks that was helpful but I have used csv module to import query from csv file
import csv

with open('path/learning/python/query/work_phone.csv', newline='\r\n') as myFile:  
    reader = csv.reader(myFile)
    for row in reader:
        print(row)
well, I'm not sure that would work, as csv reader turn each line into a list splitting at commas (default separator). Also reading line by line will not yield SQL statements that you can execute. You need to read the whole content of the file at once, in a single string.
Not to mention that it's strange to have SQL query in a file with csv extension and not in .sql file...
When I have executed script it is giving me following output
C:\Users\pubhatia\Documents\learning\python>py import_csv.py
[' select WORK_PHONE', 'source_sys_cd', "source_sys_id from mdm_people_standard where source_sys_cd ='PWS' AND WORK_PHONE IS NOT NULL; "]

Now I got your point . Thanks for explaining We cannot use this.I was wrong .

Thanks for correcting it .
There is one more thing I was reading sql lite 3 and cx_oracle ,both can be used to run queries .But I am not getting which one would be more efficient as I have 2 million to read
you can use it and I explained you how you can do it - simply read the whole file at once in a single string.

as to your other question - which DB do you use? sqlite is module to work with sqlite database/files, cx_oracle would work with Oracle DB...
I am using oracle Database. and My code is returning list which is not good idea.

Ok I will follow as you have explained
(Oct-02-2017, 09:11 AM)purnima1 Wrote: I am using oracle Database. and My code is returning list which is not good idea.

Ok I will follow as you have explained

In this case you need to use package/interface to work with Oracle DB, not sqlite
Assuming
my_query.sql
Output:
SELECT WORK_PHONE, source_sys_cd, source_sys_id FROM mdm_people_standard WHERE source_sys_cd ='PWS' AND WORK_PHONE IS NOT NULL;
and python code to read it
with open ('my_query.sql', 'r') as query_file:
    sql_query = query_file.read()
print(sql_query)
Hi all,

I have written simple query just for testing purpose in test.txt and tried to stored it local machine.
1)select * from dual;
2)'select * from dual'
3)"select * from dual"

when I am trying to run the code getting error

import cx_Oracle
from datetime import datetime
#reading query from file 
f = open('path/test.sql')
filer = f.read()
print(filer)
f.close()

#create connection string
conn_str = u'user/pwd@db'
#setting up connection 
conn = cx_Oracle.connect(conn_str)	
c = conn.cursor()
c.execute(filer)
start_time = datetime.now()
for row in c:
    print( row)
conn.close()
end_time = datetime.now()
print('Duration: {}'.format(end_time - start_time))
Getting error for different scenario

1)Traceback (most recent call last):
File "oracle_test.py", line 14, in <module>
c.execute(filer)
cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-00933: SQL command not properly ended

2 & 3

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "oracle_test.py", line 14, in <module>
c.execute(filer)
cx_Oracle.DatabaseError: ORA-00900: invalid SQL statement

Please confirm how should I pass string in cursor to run it properly
First one is correct syntax and should work, 2 and 3 are not because of the enclosing single/double quotes.
Does the first one work if you run it from db command line? Also make sure that there is nothing else in the sql file you are reading from. What does the print on line 6 yield?

And post threads in the proper forum, such threads don't belong to News and Discussions

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  error "cannot identify image file" part way through running hatflyer 0 666 Nov-02-2023, 11:45 PM
Last Post: hatflyer
  Web project and running a .py file emont 0 637 Dec-11-2022, 11:15 PM
Last Post: emont
  batch file for running python scipt in Windows shell MaartenRo 2 1,884 Jan-21-2022, 02:36 PM
Last Post: MaartenRo
  rows from sql query need to write to a file as columns sjcsvatt 6 2,383 Oct-09-2021, 12:45 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  write mariadb table rows query to each file? shams 1 1,872 Feb-02-2021, 04:10 PM
Last Post: buran
  Running A Parser In VSCode - And Write The Results Into A Csv-File apollo 5 4,637 Jan-14-2021, 08:58 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  WinError 87 while running .exe file Timych 0 2,365 Aug-06-2020, 02:36 PM
Last Post: Timych
  Write SQLite query result to file hjk6734 1 1,934 May-27-2020, 12:17 PM
Last Post: menator01
  problem running python file using cmd panzers 2 2,302 Dec-19-2019, 04:04 PM
Last Post: panzers
  Interpreter and running a .py file give different outputs PythonNPC 5 2,989 Jul-21-2019, 01:07 PM
Last Post: PythonNPC