Python Forum
Server Based indoor positioning using Wi-Fi
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Based indoor positioning using Wi-Fi
We have 1 wifi router and 3 phones.

Phones are connected to wifi router.

want to fetch the connected phones and thier RSSI values from the router.

Is it possible to do so? Tried in DIGISOL HR-3400 router. But its log shows only connected device MAC ID. we want RSSi values also.
This looks like what you want: http://hackoftheday.securitytube.net/201...ython.html
Hi Larz60,
Thanks for your reply. In this link are they getting RSSI values from router.
I mean to say. I want ot fetch information like MAC ID, RSSI, Freq of all the devices [Client-Phones] from the router. Using logs in router or running python script, is it possible to fetch all the above details from Wi-Fi router?

Python script runs in a local server. local server is connected to Wi_FI Router. Router is connected with phones or clients
(Sep-19-2017, 09:08 AM)Bhagat Wrote: But its log shows only connected device MAC ID. we want RSSi values also.

You are not seeing it in the logs, because RSSI means nothing to a router. The router is only interested in the transmitted power (which would be the same to all devices), not the received power, which is dependent on the device and it's ability to receive a signal from the router. If you want the RSSI, you would have to get that from the device, not the router.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Hi the way you said is correct. It is one way of doing. That is we can get RSSI values from Device that is connected.

But i need the other way. I need to get information of connected client from router. To get there position.

I got some documents though. But i am still not sure how to stept in. So any solution?
Again, your not going to get information like GPS from the router, you get it from the device. You could monitor traffic to and from the router with a program like Wireshark, but since transmissions from a cell phone (or even a wireless home phone) will no doubt be encrypted (other than the source, destination and certain other information), I'm not sure of what value that will be.
Monitor traffic to and from the router. The router is only interested in the transmitted power. Check this for router help: 192.168.0.1
What is this link?
It is not the ip address you show.
The 192.168.0.1 address is the default LAN IP address assigned by the router manufacturer on several router models.  As with any default setting, it should be changed to match ones own internal numbering scheme. Knowing this doesn't help, as the OP has already indicated he can access the router. His problem is he wants to retrieve from the router information that is supplied by the device, i.e. the received signal strength and GPS location. Since the router does not permanently store the actual packets sent by the device, the only way to get it is with a 'sniffer' between the device and the router.
I have been looking for this information for a long time, I was very surprised when I found it here. jiofi local html 192.168.1.254

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Paramiko Server -- Exception (server): Error reading SSH protocol banner ujlain 3 4,274 Jul-24-2023, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis