Python Forum
Shouldn't we allow .PY attachments?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shouldn't we allow .PY attachments?
Title says it all...
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
added it
Recommended Tutorials:
I actually would prefer they be disallowed. Either it is so little code it should be embedded, or it's enough for a proper repo. I like that it discourages making things harder on us - the process of downloading a file is much more tedious, especially on mobile.
Quote:Either it is so little code it should be embedded, or it's enough for a proper repo. I like that it discourages making things harder on us - the process of downloading a file is much more tedious
thats enough to convince me.

If we go that route though, when would one need to upload a txt file either? They could just upload a py file with ext renamed. And there are some really weird default ones too that are currently enabled.

Or sometimes noobs will upload a zip of their program.

So it seems like it should be allow whatever, or disallow everything.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-18-2016, 04:43 AM)metulburr Wrote:
Quote:Either it is so little code it should be embedded, or it's enough for a proper repo. I like that it discourages making things harder on us - the process of downloading a file is much more tedious
thats enough to convince me.

If we go that route though, when would one need to upload a txt file either? They could just upload a py file with ext renamed. And there are some really weird default ones too that are currently enabled.

Or sometimes noobs will upload a zip of their program.

So it seems like it should be allow whatever, or disallow everything.

That's pretty much my thoughts too.

Disallowing everything wouldn't be much a problem for seasoned users (we all know how to use imgur/pastebin/dropbox and such), but some newcomers are surprisingly inexperienced for aspiring coders.
Unless noted otherwise, code in my posts should be understood as "coding suggestions", and its use may require more neurones than the two necessary for Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V.
Your one-stop place for all your GIMP needs: gimp-forum.net
Some people will zip a single .py file, but usually not. I think disallowing .py files is a good balance of "you can still basically do it if you try" but making it hard enough that more preferable paths will be explored first or more often. I don't know how easily it is to change, and I'm happy to run the experiment, but I'd want to change things if we regularly see uploads where embedded stuff should be happening.
Its as simple to remove them as a single click
ACP -> Configuration -> Attacment types -> delete link for unwanted filetypes.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-18-2016, 04:27 AM)micseydel Wrote: Either it is so little code it should be embedded, or it's enough for a proper repo.
(emphasis added)

So, what if we had a python-forum.io github account, and people could submit code to it?  We could put things like small snippets of code that are very frequently used, users could upload massive programs into a subfolder (or even a branch!) so others can peruse the code and submit pull requests, and other... things.  Like tutorials.

If someone has a lot of code (or it's unnecessarily complicated), you could upload it there, make the change and push the change, then share the final code and/or a link to the script on github, so they could see the final code as well as the changelog/merge info of the changes, so they can see exactly which lines were changed.
(Sep-19-2016, 08:16 PM)nilamo Wrote: So, what if we had a python-forum.io github account, and people could submit code to it?  We could put things like small snippets of code that are very frequently used, users could upload massive programs into a subfolder (or even a branch!) so others can peruse the code and submit pull requests, and other... things.  Like tutorials.
Yes could think about something like this,but i would like to have most of code on this site.
I am gone start a new thread soon for small to medium scripts/snippets.
This can be good for having much of smaller scripts/snippets together.
When it get to large we split it up in new thread part-2.

Edit: have changed name of Completed Scripts to Scripts & Snippets and started a new thread.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What file types are allowed for attachments buran 1 2,829 Jan-24-2017, 02:30 PM
Last Post: metulburr