Python Forum
Simple Digimon Game - Suggestions Welcome
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Simple Digimon Game - Suggestions Welcome
I'm new to this forum, but I'm hoping this is the correct place to post something like this. I'm currently working on a game that I believe is unique (at least, I haven't been able to find anything similar here or by Googling). I'm not having any specific problems with the game, just hoping for suggestions as far as gameplay mechanics and base code, so feel free to redirect me to another area on the forums if this would be better suited elsewhere.

Here's the background:

I'm teaching several children how to program in Python, ranging from about 4th to 9th Grade. I wanted to introduce file I/O to them, but had to think of a way to do it in a way that would keep the attention of children as young as 11 y.o., so my first thought was a game. But, instead of just a game that uses file I/O to find game stats from a text file or to save data, I wanted to make the file I/O a more central and active role in the game, so I got inspiration from a Digimon game I saw my little sister playing (Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth, in case you're interested). What I'm basically saying is: Keep in mind that this game is intended for teaching children about file I/O, not to be the next AAA game.

With all that out of the way, here's the basic game idea:

Each player has a short core file, which has the player name, hit points, and the most basic functional code (all this is only about 30 lines without referencing any functions stored in other modules). On a player's turn, they run their core file, which initially summons a single monster to their core directory (the monster data is all stored in a subfolder, but it's against the rules to access the folder while playing). You can only perform one action per turn, so that is your entire first turn. On subsequent turns, you run a single file from your core directory, either your core file or a monster file (also, all the monsters are named after and based on actual Digimon, since this is entirely non-commercial and I have no plans for distributing the game). The monsters, once used, are destroyed, though they could be randomly summoned back by the core file later. Unlike games like MTG and Pokemon, instead of having monsters battle one another or deal direct damage to a controller, they have effects on the core code of another file. For example, Devimon's effect inserts a chunk of code into the other player's core file that causes their hit points to drop by 1 every time the player activates their core file, whereas Demidevimon's effect opens the other player's core file, finds the first function under the "Base Functions" section, and makes the first entire function into a block comment, using ''' notation. The game ends when either a player's hit points hit 0 or a player's core file becomes too corrupted to function. I've made about a dozen monsters for the game, and now I'm having the kids write their own to add to it (I have to approve the monster before they can use them, so they don't have a single monster that just erases an enemy's entire core file in one move or something like that).

That's pretty much the entire concept. I would love any input or ideas for future effects to use in the game. The kids really seem to enjoy it, which is more than I expected for something that's teaching them about file I/O in Python, one of the duller but more useful subjects in programming. If you have an idea, please leave it below, preferably with pseudo-code for how to get any monster effects to work. I'm not a programmer, just a Civil Engineer who uses Python at work, so any code or pseudo code would probably save me a lot of trial-and-error and aggressive Googling. There are a few other rules that make the game run smoother, like each player has a RAM stat that they can increase with monster effects, and certain monsters will only be summoned if they have a high enough RAM, similar to summoning costs in MTG or mana costs for spells in other Fantasy games. Beyond that, I'm also open to gameplay mechanic ideas.
(Jun-01-2017, 05:07 PM)prog92 Wrote: (also, all the monsters are named after and based on actual Digimon, since this is entirely non-commercial and I have no plans for distributing the game)
I love to be the fun-killer, but being non-commercial doesn't protect you from copyright infringement. Even if it was open source, and you gave it away for free, you could still be sued.

But don't take my word for it, google around and you'll see that to be stated again and again.
It's why games like mario clones don't last too long before they're taken down by isps.

There's a few exceptions that are noteworthy. For example, you can't copyright rules (but you CAN copyright the medium the rules are distributed on, so don't photocopy a rulebook and share it). So risk/monopoly clones are fine, as long as all the names/art is changed.
Furthermore, something that is common enough to be considered public knowledge have essentially expired their copyright. These things are very rare, and if you try to use that, you'll probably lose anyway. Breakout type games fit this mold, since the game is just a paddle hitting a block into other blocks. Tetris is almost at that point, since it's just rotating tetriminos, but the company that owns the Tetris branding still sues people unconditionally anyway (though they do lose now and then, if the art is different, number of columns is different, etc).

Which is a whole lot of words to say a simple thing: don't use Digimon.
You can easily have the same game, without using any of the copyrighted material, simply by calling them "summonable beasts" and making up unique names.
Thanks for the advice! I hadn't thought about copyright being a problem, since I'm not planning to distribute it at all, just playing with the half-dozen-or-so students I'm mentoring. I'll take your advice though and remove any Digimon references, just in case it ends up distributed at some point. I'm pretty sure most of the kids weren't even alive yet when Digimon was popular, so the references were mostly for my own amusement anyways.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Simple game help jarettday 1 3,944 Sep-07-2020, 10:45 PM
Last Post: bowlofred
  Trying to make a simple pong game. kevindadmun 1 3,916 Aug-05-2019, 06:39 AM
Last Post: kevindadmun
  Simple Game - Choice Based theor 3 2,936 May-10-2019, 08:41 AM
Last Post: beLIEve
  Suggestions/Improvements (pygame) SheeppOSU 3 2,838 Apr-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Last Post: SheeppOSU
  simple pygame game kinglarry0327 0 9,205 Jan-06-2019, 06:18 PM
Last Post: kinglarry0327