Python Forum
Some Guy Today Told Me Python Isn't A Real Programming Language
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Guy Today Told Me Python Isn't A Real Programming Language
I ran into some guy while walking my dog and he said Python is a scripting language, and isn't a real programming language.

My instincts tell me he's probably full of it, but he apparently has 5 years programming experience.. which is a lot more than my 2 months.

What do you guys think? Have you heard this before and is it true?
I've got 50 years programming. Python is a programming language that uses scripts.
Tell that guy he needs to study for another 5 years.

Tell him to take at look at this: http://www.hartmannsoftware.com/Blog/Art...-in-Python
Define "real" programming language? I'm a software engineer with 4+ years of full-time experience, more than 10 years with Python, and I don't see a problem. Often it comes down to splitting hairs - is Java "real" (it runs in a VM, so isn't compiled like C/C++)? Would Python become "real" if a native binary could be compiled? etc.
(Nov-29-2017, 06:26 AM)digitalmatic7 Wrote: I ran into some guy while walking my dog and he said Python is a scripting language, and isn't a real programming language.
quite a funny guy :-)
This discussion has been finish a long time ago also(programming language vs scripting language?),
but some people live in there own bubble. 
Basically,all scripting languages are real programming languages.
What people actually use on Github, GitHut 2.0 statistics.
So scripting languages like Python and JavaScrips,is not so much used Liar
Some people are just full of...

Attached Files

Thumbnail(s)

Recommended Tutorials:
My typical reaction to this is: None
A rude answer to this:
Quote:Python is fucking used in space on a fucking Micro Controller.... so FU.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
My answer is too:
Quote:Python is fucking used in space on a fucking Micro Controller.... so FU.
Hm! I don't know what "programming languages" means. If anyone considers himself a professional and is laughing at Python he/she forget that half of the Linux system is Python and Perl scripts. As 90% of the internet servers are running on this OS... you get my point. But I am biased.

Take a look at this. You may find it interesting. Just two paragraphs from all:
Quote:We recently explored how wealthy countries (those defined as high-income by the World Bank) tend to visit a different set of technologies than the rest of the world. Among the largest differences we saw was in the programming language Python. When we focus on high-income countries, the growth of Python is even larger than it might appear from tools like Stack Overflow Trends, or in other rankings that consider global software development.

Quote:June 2017 was the first month that Python was the most visited tag on Stack Overflow within high-income nations. This included being the most visited tag within the US and the UK, and in the top 2 in almost all other high income nations (next to either Java or JavaScript). This is especially impressive because in 2012, it was less visited than any of the other 5 languages, and has grown by 2.5-fold in that time.

The "programming language" is just a concept. A definition. All of those are tools. You pick one, you write a code and the job is done.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Maybe he was confusing Python with pseudo-code. To be fair the syntax is very similar.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Python GUI Programming rob101 0 641 Jun-14-2023, 06:49 PM
Last Post: rob101
  Can Python be used as a macro language for excel, Word, etc.? CynthiaMoore 8 2,947 Sep-17-2022, 08:12 AM
Last Post: stevendaprano
  Python Has Major Problems as Language Dave 13 3,584 May-20-2022, 10:12 AM
Last Post: stevendaprano
  TIOBE Index for October 2021 - Python programming language number 1! Yoriz 1 1,508 Oct-07-2021, 11:35 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  a new language based on python Skaperen 0 1,626 Nov-04-2020, 01:54 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  platform independent programming with Python PythonMarlem 2 42,754 Oct-06-2020, 10:25 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  3.9.0 released today Larz60+ 0 1,658 Oct-05-2020, 09:51 PM
  Is python an interpreted language or a compiled language? GouravDas 1 1,984 Jun-23-2020, 10:38 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  what programming language to learn other than python in real mass-production product? Kai 1 2,083 Apr-12-2020, 04:40 AM
  Chinese coding language ‘Mulan’ found to be Python fork buran 0 1,697 Jan-22-2020, 04:30 AM
Last Post: buran