Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spam, Is or is not ?
This morning I saw some 'blockchain related <something> for python' post in 'News and Discussions'. And my initially thought was to report is as spam. But as it was for Python and was posted in 'News and Discussions' doubt started to creep in, and I decided not to report it (and wait to see what would happen to it) ... (now gone, so it was)

My question. Got any hints/tips no narrow down the/my gray area in what is or what is not a potential spam post ?
Or ... should I just go with my gut feeling, and than just leave it up to the admin's/mod's to agree (post disappears at some point) or disagree (post stays).
I removed the thread in question. My initial thought was that it is legit post. Then, I looked more in-depth and found that the link in the post was link to a blog post that was copy/paste from Basic Usage example from the official docs of BigchainDB python driver, poorly formatted and with no added value. The site itself was a Indian company site offering software/blockchain development services. IMHO it was posted for sole purpose of click-bait/hidden advertisement of the company in question.

If you are in doubt - please, don't hesitate to report. Mods/admins would look into it.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

Go with your gut. I would always report if in doubt. Its better to report a legit post than let clickbait/spam reside on the forum.

Spam has been quite sneaky lately. They go to the extent of making their posts seem legit with a small hidden link somewhere. Just enough that if you scan the post, you might miss it. They will even make accounts, let them sit for awhile, make a few legit posts, and then spam to try to avoid detection of a new account/no posts history. Other times, they are easily detectable by the way they speak. They either copy random python code/speech and it sounds decent, but it doesn't make sense in the thread it is in. At some point though, they give themselves away 100% by putting links in their profile or posts. The location of their link usually determines if they are a spammer. We (admins and mods) keep tabs on people who are suspicious. So any reported post helps us log their activity if they might spam in the future.
Recommended Tutorials:
Roger that. :-)

(forgot/skipped to check the link due to doubt combined with local time constraints)