Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange behavior
I've noticed myself having a lot of typo's lately, and was worried that my age was catching up with me.
Then, I started thinking about my wireless keyboard.

When I turn it on, the battery LED turns green and then goes out after a second or two, thus indicating
my batteries are OK.

But then, I recalled a project that I worked on which used a TI MSP430 processor. The current drain on the power
source was only a few micro amps. So I theorize, that when the keyboard is first turned on, the filter capacitors would charge
due to the initial surge, and would remain charged for quite a while, thus giving a false battery OK indication.

Bottom line,  my new keyboard proverb:
when in doubt, replace the batteries.

Come to think of it, I may still be on the original set of batteries, and I think I bought this keyboard about 5 years ago.
I had a battery powered keyboard. It last about 5 years before the batteries died. I still have it sitting behind the monitor as you have to specially order those button batteries. In the end it doesnt seem worth it lol.
Recommended Tutorials:
Nice keyboard or nice batteries  Smile
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Fortunately mine uses AA Batteries.
That makes me think how many elder across the globe get such concerns over their age and condition. While it has just been the bloody keyboard all along!
I think they should be banned!
Had the same problem, only different :-) . Mine involved a wireless mouse, but it still exhibited sporadic behavior. As you say, the indicator showed the battery as good, so I thought I had a problem with the OS, then thought I had somehow installed a virus, then I thought maybe  Martians.  Then I swapped it out with a wired mouse and problem solved. As with the keyboards, the mouse is now in a box waiting for future historians to discover it.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
I do use a wireless trackball mouse, but the first indication of something wacky, and i change the battery on it pronto. If i could get a wired trackball as cheap or cheaper that would be awesome.

The keyboard though seems like a whole other beast. When the battery starts to die, you cant really tell. My mouse battery dies about every 1-2 years. But the damn keyboard doesnt for like 5 years. I cant even tell you my kids birthday of 5 years ago. Ive had some weird things happen with the wireless keyboards such as only one key not working, or your not sure if the computer froze or something. Whereas the mouse has a single point of failure. In the end i would rather not deal with wireless mouse/keyboards. Most of the time they are sitting where a wired one would reach anyways.
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:If i could get a wired trackball as cheap or cheaper that would be awesome.
I think you had a post about this, three years or so ago.
Give me details , brand model number, etc.
I'll put it in the glove box of my car.
My wife loves yard sales, and quite often these things turn up.
If i See one, I'll buy it. If I can find several, and none work, perhaps all can be taken
apart and a good one made of the lot.