Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Text files
Hi, is it OK for my PC when my python code works with 200 000 small text files? My python program opens every second new text file writes there one number and then closes it and then again and again. I am relatively new to programming so I am not sure if such high number of files is OK. Is it better to write everything to one bigger (but still nothing huge) file and loose clarity in data or is it OK to make 200 000 small text files and open/close/write into them in intervals which last only few milliseconds/seconds? Thanks for advice!
I would think having a different file for each datum would lose a lot of clarity in the data.

Each file requires a certain amount of overhead. 200,000 files are going to take up a lot more space than one file with 200,000 lines. Opening files also requires overhead, so your program is going to run a lot slower with 200,00 files than with one. One file is more efficient (up to a point).
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
What will happen with these files? What they are used for?
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
I´m gonna draw a pixel map from them. For my colleagues it would be more intuitive to use such organization of data even if it is 200 000 files. I have 600 groups each of them has 300 subgroups and each subgroup = one text file = has ca. 50 numbers inside (it means that I have exactly 180 000 .txt files). For example 600 countries, 300 biggest cities in each country, 50 citizens of each city. I work with numbers so for my colleagues it is different when I say USA - New York - Mr. Smith than 25 - 97 - 14578.789. Do you have any other idea how to organize such data set? I tried .json but they were not satisfied with it...
I would use a csv file. Columns for country, city, citizen. Easy to load into Python with the csv module, opens in Excel if they want to view the whole data set. At most have separate files for each country, but only so the files are easier for Excel to handle.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I don't understand how you access the data you write into files.

For my mind it easier to have nested dictionary (have O(1) complexity to access data) or some other datastructure.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Most Compatible Text Editor to Handle Large Files? Robotguy 2 2,336 Aug-18-2020, 03:51 PM
Last Post: FortyTwo
  Can python read Marathi text files and summarize them? mcp111 0 1,782 Mar-18-2020, 08:58 AM
Last Post: mcp111
  How to compare two files and Display different results for text and for INT Prince_Bhatia 1 3,233 May-18-2018, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Prince_Bhatia
  import/use data from text files MichealPeterson 1 3,282 Jun-28-2017, 08:51 AM
Last Post: buran
  read multiple .xlsx files and text files in a directory BNB 11 25,576 Jun-07-2017, 07:42 AM
Last Post: BNB