Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The best Python editor?
New to Python, I have some other programming experience but I like it so far.
I'm an old UNIX guy and I've used VI quite a lot, so I wondered what people thought of VIM as an effective Python IDE.
Is it fully functional for Python use, or would I be selling short by sticking with this?

Some of the other editors used are:

PyCharm
Wing
Eric
PyDev
SpyDers
Pyzo
Thonny
IDLE
Emacs

I know some of this is personal choice, but wanted to get people's opinions/feedback. Thanks!
I personally use the Python IDE for quick development/writing small code. And I keep PyCharm around for a heavy duty IDE for my bigger projects. My HDD is a bit slow and PyCharm runs significantly slower than the Python IDE, that's why.
Should also mention VS Code my main Python Editor for the past couple of years.
I have Thread about here VS Code from start
If you are experienced vi user there is nothing better than Vim as Python editor :-)

If you pick some other editor it’s useful to check beforehand does it has Vim keybindings and what are the limitations.
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.
Pycharm + VIM keybindings!
Kdevelop and Kate, perfect for linux...
I also use PyCharm with the ideaVIM plugin. It has a convenient selector at the bottom right to disable it when you need to.
"So, brave knights, if you do doubt your courage or your strength, come no further, for death awaits you all with nasty, big, pointy teeth!" - Tim the Enchanter
I am also an old Unix guy so I prefer VI and VIM too. But because I have the feeling I should not be too old fashioned, I recently started trying Pycharm and I begin to like it. But of course sloooww in comparison to VI.
I cannot use VI because I have a BEPO keyboard and it would mean remapping all the VI key shortcuts. A tedious work, considering the large number of excellent editors.
I've been using Visual Studio Code and I am pretty new to programming in Python. I hear a lot about VIM but I'm not technically ready to use that.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Star Nodezator v1.4 released! (Python node editor in the public domain) KennedyRichard 0 896 Sep-04-2023, 01:42 PM
Last Post: KennedyRichard
  Lightweight Python editor for beginners Gribouillis 0 741 Dec-23-2022, 06:07 AM
Last Post: Gribouillis
Star Nodezator (free Python node editor) released to the public domain! KennedyRichard 4 2,115 Jun-24-2022, 09:49 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  Finding python editor Python666 4 38,571 Apr-12-2020, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Python666
  Learning Python. Which is a good text editor for MacOS? birb 4 3,265 Feb-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  I made a real-time python editor - anyone have any feedback? Almenon 2 3,379 Jan-20-2018, 08:23 AM
Last Post: Almenon
  Open Source and X Platform development editor for Python donj 12 12,244 Nov-03-2016, 08:15 PM
Last Post: snippsat