Python Forum
The most important skills for Python devs in 2019
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most important skills for Python devs in 2019
Just came across a blog post about the most in-demand skills for Python devs: link. Although Machine Learning is raising its popularity with the speed of light, AWS, and Clouds, along with Django, seem to be even more popular than ML libraries. However, Machine Learning itself is quite close to the top of the skills rating. Is such a situation on the Python employment market close to reality?
Personally, I never cared about what the trend was, because I would only work on projects that interested me.
Never tried to mold myself to a particular job.
ML jobs typically require a masters degree. If you want to be devops and manage AWS, you can get away with lesser education. I feel like those two things aren't really in the same ballpark, even if it's true that they're comparably in-demand.
ML is DS (data science). AWS is more for sysadmins and netadmins who can program. it's amazing how many sysadmins and netadmins i have met (because this is where i have focused my career and had most jobs) that can't program. some can't even write a script. when i started my career, everyone in IT did at least some programming (even if it was just COBOL). now days, so many can't. but AWS/cloud is just getting going. getting into that needs the skill of programming (and, of course, problem solving). i'm now retired from IT, but got bored and started my own business helping about a dozen other companies to do things on AWS. lots of automation going on. and so far it has all been in Python or Bash (mostly Python).
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
In Singapore my contact told me, if you apply Machine Learning on PLC Controllers, you'll have many customers there.
Yes, ML is currently the Buzzword number one, but without domain specific knowledge, you can't apply ML.
This is the cause, why so many with a Master Degree are on this projects. The education in IT is interdisciplinary.
This is where the power comes from. The only missing attribute on a fresh Master is the missing experience.

It should be possible to get a Job without a degree of Master, if you have good domain specific knowledge in a specific area.
Almost dead, but too lazy to die: https://sourceserver.info
All humans together. We don't need politicians!
I will admit that if I was looking for a particular person for a project, I might initially be a bit biased towards the person with the masters, but only at stage one.

On second interviews, I didn't didn't limit myself to a persons education, as a matter of fact, I didn't even care so long as the applicant showed an understanding of the project they were interviewing for, had a great enthusiasm about working on the project, and had a proven history of success.

Quote:It should be possible to get a Job without a degree of Master, if you have good domain specific knowledge in a specific area.
I agree.
of all the hires i have ever done, specific education level was never a criteria for choosing who to interview, choosing who was to be offered the job, and how much compensation was to be offered. one of my best hires turned out to have dropped out of high school and was working at an auto repair shop.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do I have enough skills to get a programming job? caelum_carmine 1 1,536 Jul-10-2022, 04:53 PM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Important changes in Python since 3.6? j.crater 0 1,633 Aug-08-2021, 06:36 PM
Last Post: j.crater
  GJL Summer Jam - Showcase your skills to industry professionals! WanderingOwl 0 1,531 Jul-07-2021, 09:25 PM
Last Post: WanderingOwl
  Network engineer looking to improve my skills with some automation jaysoft 4 59,158 Mar-29-2021, 10:04 AM
Last Post: Naheed
  How important is math for software engineering, and does it help in problem solving? larridde 4 2,939 Mar-10-2020, 03:25 PM
Last Post: wavic
  Advent of Code 2019 ThomasL 9 5,044 Dec-15-2019, 10:54 AM
Last Post: ndc85430
  PyCon 2019 snippsat 0 1,889 May-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Stackoverflow Developer Survey Results - 2019 buran 1 2,313 Apr-09-2019, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  PyConWeb 2019 bugy 0 1,908 Feb-06-2019, 08:31 AM
Last Post: bugy