Python Forum
Thoughts on how to approach a project
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Thoughts on how to approach a project
I’ve got a few reasons and examples connected with popularity of Python. In my opinion there is no one good answer for your question.
For beginners and people who are new to computer science, the Python syntax and structure is easy to learn, easy to read, and easy to maintain. This makes it a good starting point for beginners to pick up the basics of programming and then learn more complicated languages, like C++ or Java.
I would like to add this comparison
Comparison Of Python and Swift Programming Languages
Python is realy very comfortable language. For your needs, I think, you can take a look at Pandas and Mathplotlib. With this libraries you can solve your issue. If you use Jupiter notebook you'll get easy-to-use interface.
Python has excellent libraries that you can use to select and save your time and effort on the initial cycle of development. There are also lots of cloud media services that offer cross-platform support through library-like tools, which can be extremely beneficial.
(Dec-21-2016, 11:09 PM)birdieman Wrote: I am a moderately experienced VBA coder, and have only begun learning Python (second post on this forum) because I would like to take on a new project which takes an Excel program/spreadsheet and duplicates what it does using Python.

As you probably know, Excel is made up of rows and columns, and works/calculates left to right within a row, then moves down a row, and starts over, etc..  In addition, a value that is calculated in cell A1, for example, is typically used in cell A2, and so on down the row.

In my spreadsheet, assume I have 80 rows and 200 columns.  Formulas (nothing fancy, just normal math) are copied downward in each column to all 80 rows.  In other words, every formula in a particular column is the same thing (of course, the values used in those formulas are different).

My general questions:

1.  Does Python even lend itself to calculating/behaving like Excel?  If not, is there a better language?

2.  If so, how should I think of duplicating a spreadsheet-like program in Python?  Should I think of a row as a list? dictionary? etc? Is that hard to do with a big list?  Maybe a make a bunch of smaller lists to duplicate a section of the spreadsheet?  etc, etc.

I just need some general thoughts on whether to try, and if so, maybe how to approach it from a big picture standpoint?

thanks for looking

HI,

Python can certainly handle spreadsheet-like calculations and behavior, though it may not have the same visual interface as Excel. Python has several libraries and modules that allow for data analysis, manipulation, and calculations, such as Pandas, NumPy, and openpyxl.

In terms of duplicating a spreadsheet-like program in Python, you could think of each row as a list or a dictionary, where the keys represent the column headers and the values represent the cell values. Alternatively, you could use Pandas to create a DataFrame, which is essentially a table with rows and columns.

For example, you could create a DataFrame with 80 rows and 200 columns like this:

import pandas as pd

data = [[0 for j in range(200)] for i in range(80)] # initialize with 0
df = pd.DataFrame(data)

You can then perform calculations on this DataFrame, for example:

df.iloc[:,0] = 1 # set the first column to 1
df.iloc[:,1] = df.iloc[:,0] + 1 # set the second column to the first column + 1

In this example, the first column is set to 1 and the second column is set to the values of the first column plus 1.

You could also use loops to iterate over the rows and columns and perform calculations on each cell, similar to how you would do it in Excel.

Overall, the approach you take may depend on the specific requirements of your project and the complexity of the calculations involved. But with the right libraries and tools, Python can certainly handle spreadsheet-like calculations and behavior.

Please let me know if it works or not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the best approach to training a final model after cross validation? amjass12 0 1,865 Jul-21-2021, 10:15 AM
Last Post: amjass12
  extract tabe from nested dictionary, find generic approach,clever way tonycat 4 2,748 Aug-31-2020, 09:22 AM
Last Post: tonycat
  Alternative approach to iterate numerous linear regressions with xlsx data? john_538 0 2,491 Apr-07-2018, 10:15 PM
Last Post: john_538