Python Forum
[Tkinter] calling a new window from a tkinter window
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[Tkinter] calling a new window from a tkinter window
I'm having trouble navigating nested windows calls with tkinter. The first window builds and executes well, with a window.mainloop() statement at at the end to set up the window polling.

But now, when I use a button to call a function, which in turn, opens up a new window, I end up with a parallel window that does not wait for the return values returned by the second function. In this case the second window is just a simple dropdown menu, with user selected choice, which should be returned to the main function. Everything works, except the code that calls the new window doesn't wait, and then execute subsequent code. I started exploring wait_window(), but don't understand how that might help.
I don't understand what you are asking, can you show a minimal example of runnable code.
In a script you can write some text, prompt for input, and perform some action based on the input. In a GUI you cannot use this pattern because the GUI cannot control what the user does next. If you draw a window with a menu the user might close your window and not make a menu selection. This must be allowed. In a GUI application you would draw the window with the menu, and specify a function to call when the menu selection is made.

So if your logic is:
Make menu
Draw menu
Wait for selection
Process selection

You should change it to:
Make menu, bind menu to call Process selection
Draw Menu

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tkinter: An image and label are not appearing. emont 7 396 Mar-21-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  Interaction between Matplotlib window, Python prompt and TKinter window NorbertMoussy 3 341 Mar-17-2024, 09:37 AM
  [Tkinter] Tkinter Matplotlib Animation Graph not rendering dimidgen 3 335 Mar-12-2024, 02:09 PM
  [Tkinter] CTkScrollableDropdown error: bad window path name ".!ctkscrollabledropdown" CopperGenie 1 216 Mar-03-2024, 04:32 AM
  [Tkinter] (CLOSED) CTkScrollableDropdown error: bad window path name ".!ctkscrollabledropdown" CopperGenie 4 418 Mar-03-2024, 03:21 AM
Last Post: CopperGenie
  [Tkinter] Tkinter callback exception Ben123 2 428 Feb-17-2024, 06:03 PM
  tkinter two windows instead of one jacksfrustration 7 774 Feb-08-2024, 06:18 PM
  make widgets disappear from tkinter jacksfrustration 12 926 Feb-06-2024, 03:58 PM
  Transparent window background, but not text on it muzicman0 7 2,734 Feb-02-2024, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Joically
  pass a variable between tkinter and toplevel windows janeik 10 2,135 Jan-24-2024, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Liliana