Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tkinter or PyQt
Hi all,

Let me asking you for advices in how to choose between Tkinter and PyQt libraries? I've no experience in GUI development in general, and more under Python obviously.

Between both of these ones, what's the best choice to focus on to start from scratch?

I read this thread Tk vs PyQt and I've noticed the license limitation, but I remain still undecided

Thanks for advices

Paul
I would prefer PyQt5. You just have a lot more options and the GUI looks better too.
I raised the question of GUIs in my very first post on this board. Tk has the advantage of being included in the Python dist. I have ended up using wxPython for GUI development as it is rather full featured and I have been happy with the experience.

I eat escargot. Other people would not eat snails. It's like Linux distros - to each his/her own.

Here is the official word: https://docs.python.org/3/faq/gui.html
Thanks to the Python forum (in another thread), I heard about PySimpleGUI; maybe a good starting point to do basic GUI's for the newby I am.

Thanks to all answer for their feedback
Okay I cannot speak to the other GUI tools personally but in my research I found that PyQt is the most robust but its pro is its con in that is is the most robust -- however to combat that it is also the best documented -- however you again bump into that pro being its con -- for while its the best documented and because it is so robust -- it has a lot of documentation which for the beginner might be daunting

However if you chose pyqt there are those of us who would be willing to help you understand how to use it to its fullest (such as myself) and a few others that I know.
(Aug-14-2019, 11:51 AM)paul18fr Wrote: I heard about PySimpleGUI; maybe a good starting point to do basic GUI's for the newby I am.

PySimpleGUI and the accompanying User Documentation, Cookbook and Demo Programs were created with the beginner in mind. And while it's simple to get started and write custom GUIs, you're not limited to a simple problem space.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Convert tkinter to pyqt razs 6 5,467 Aug-29-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: razs
Question Tkinter VS PyQt siansoft 9 33,901 Sep-27-2016, 09:22 AM
Last Post: Larz60+