Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I hate text editors
I use Kdevelop and Kate. They are great tools and they satisfy my GNU/Linux oriented mind.
(Jan-09-2018, 08:40 PM)Gribouillis Wrote: I use Kdevelop and Kate. They are great tools and they satisfy my GNU/Linux oriented mind.

my GNU/Linux oriented mind does not even know what those are. i assume they are components of the KDE project which i didn't choose a few years back when i was setting up a new machine as my first 64-bit, first dual core (although i did build a dual CPU box way back when 133 Mhz was the best price), and first machine with more than 4 GB RAM. maybe i am missing out on something.
Tradition is peer pressure from dead people

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
I use atom. Still use geany for quick test code.
First thing I do with text editor. Replace tabs with spaces in settings. If text editor has no way to replace tab with spaces. Then its not for me.

Have to have a text editor support all programming languages that I use.
99 percent of computer problems exists between chair and keyboard.
Quote:Replace tabs with spaces in settings.
Me also!
(Jan-10-2018, 03:43 AM)Windspar Wrote: Have to have a text editor support all programming languages that I use.
which are?

What do you call someone who speaks three languages? Trilingual. Two languages? Bilingual. One language? American.
(Jan-10-2018, 03:37 AM)Skaperen Wrote: my GNU/Linux oriented mind does not even know what those are.
Of course they are KDE components! Kate is an excellent editor. According to Wikipedia, Kate was first realeased in 2001. It is also multiplatform, so you can try it on windows too!
i may try it, but most definitely not on windows.

does it auto-indent Python?

(Jan-10-2018, 07:32 AM)Skaperen Wrote: but most definitely not on windows.

Kate is for Linux and would be similar to Notepadd++ for Windows. I use Kate all the time, one reason is I often copy a script from Windows to Linux (and vice versa), sometimes forgetting to change the line feeds, both programs allow me to fix it with the click of a button :-)
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
i don't see the newlines issue with my own code. but stuff i download might have it. i was thinking of writing a script to fix such files, after archiving the original. it would rstrip() every line and let print() re-append the local way of newline.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  i hate stackoverflow metulburr 7 4,377 Aug-19-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bartolomeo
  I hate transponder keys metulburr 27 14,851 Apr-05-2019, 05:18 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  IDLE vs PyCharm as editors? Emerogork 7 20,540 Dec-28-2017, 10:02 PM
Last Post: Emerogork