Python Forum
To keep electronics on or off for longevity
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To keep electronics on or off for longevity
My main question is for a LED LCD TV.

I usually keep all my electronics on 100% of the time. Computers, TVs, monitors, etc.

A couple of months ago, we turned off our TV and it wouldnt come back on (a 7 year old LED TV). WE quickly tried flipping the power button, and it came back on. So we just left it on. So a couple of weeks ago my wife accidentally turned it off and it never came back on. My first thought was a blown capacitor. So i checked the panels, and didnt see any damage to any of the capacitors. Then i deemed at that point the power supply must be the problem. So i ordered a whole new power supply board. Replaced it and nothing. Then we decided its not worth putting more money into than just putting it into a new TV. So we just bought a new TV.

Now i am wondering on how to avoid that same thing to this new TV.

We did leave the TV on 100% for all those 7 years. But i did set the contrast and brightness down to midrange beforehand. But if you turn the TV off the power supply is still getting power. In theory to truly remove power from the TV every night you would have to unplug it as the power supply still receiving power with it off.

I am just trying to get figure out how to extend the life of the TV to its max. I hate buying expensive items.
Recommended Tutorials:
Quote:We did leave the TV on 100% for all those 7 years
holy moly, I get upset when my wife leaves it on overnight.
I turn it on when I want to watch a program and off afterwards.
Have done so since I was a kid, and never has a problem.
we i have an older 90's tube TV that has been on since the 90's (for the most part) and never had a problem lol. It STILL is running.
Recommended Tutorials:
I had one that I bought in early 80's. It's still in a closet and still works.
What ever floats your boat.
the stuff that is made today is crap. If that older TV just was wider and had an HDMI input i would just use that :)

Yeah i never got rid of it because its more reliable than the one in our living room.
Recommended Tutorials:
You could perhaps purchase one of these ?
Quote:the stuff that is made today is crap
For the most part, I have to agree.
But certainly that can be qualified as some are outstandingly good.
My Nikon camera for example.
I could.

My question is there actual proof that removing the power supply is beneficial for electronics. Ive heard that turning things off and on daily can be a killer by itself. And just as quick as keeping it on constantly. IF that is true, then there is no real way around it.
Recommended Tutorials:
This is because as was mentioned all manufactured stuff today is crap. Even the electronic components. A TV is good as the crappiest tiny part of it is. It may have the biggest, the brightest display, a quality sound but if one resistor burst all goes to the garbage.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Interesting question. I would have to say (from my experience, anyway) that this started quite some time ago, in the age of tube TV's when they came out with the greatest improvement ever...Instant On. Prior to that, when you turned the set off, there was no power to it. With Instant On, there was always a small amount of power generated to keep the tubes 'warm'. Even with today's newer TV's, there is always some power (provided it's plugged in), otherwise how would your remote work? :-). I think the on/off button is a misnomer and more akin to a 'sleep' button. The advent of the computer brought on a whole new debate: There were some that said it was bad for the hard drive to be constantly cycled and should be left on 24/7, others said this was bad because it caused the hard drive to overheat and wasted precious lifetime spin cycles. Again, as with the TV, there is usually power always going to the computer, particularly if you have power-on-lan active. My personal view is that, with today's solid state technology, the power consumption is so minimal it's not worth the calories to get up and physically unplug a device. I think the greater concern is power surges and an even bigger concern is 'brown outs'. Unless you do some digging, it's not often clear what the surge protection is and how long it will last. In a brown-out, your device may still operate, but at the outer margins of it's power requirements, placing undue stress on the components. The best solution is to use a UPS, or a cheaper alternative would be a surge protector (though that doesn't address the brown-out issue).

In any case for any device, your not going to defeat the 'planned obsolescence' built into just about every product made today.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition