Python Forum
To keep electronics on or off for longevity
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To keep electronics on or off for longevity
When a computer is turned off, the only current used is a minuscule amount to keep the clock running.
This is called hibernate mode, and uses a ridiculously low amount of current. In this mode, memory needs to be restored on
power up, but it is used on devices like space equipment where there is no outlet available for recharging batteries.
Most mcu's also have a sleep mode which still uses a small amount of current, but enough to maintain the memory. This is where the 'instant on' comes from.

In old electronics, there was a rectifier circuit which had large filter capacitors. These served dual purposes, one was to absorb the initial power surge
when power was applied, and the other was to smooth the dc output of switching power supplies. If a power supply was not adequately filtered, some of this
surge current could get into the equipment and damage it.

I don't think that this is still a problem today.

I'd say if it makes you feel warm and fuzzy, leave the power on.
I will still turn mine off.
Im quite curious if the constant power to the power board, deteriorates components in the board at a faster rate. Or if the act of turning them on so frequently would cause less/more damage. I wonder how i could test which theory is true.

Quote:The best solution is to use a UPS, or a cheaper alternative would be a surge protector
I do have all my electronics on surge protectors, but maybe a UPS would be a good idea in conjunction with it.

Quote:your not going to defeat the 'planned obsolescence' built into just about every product made today.
A monitor has less required than a TV right? It doesnt have a motherboard on it. I have fixed my monitor's capacitors twice in 10 years. That seems to be the only issue with my monitors. Whereas my TV has more expensive fixes.

My TV setup is actually just a second monitor. I watch TV only online. I dont use the coaxial as i dont have cable, and i only use HDMI's for input for the computers to make it a second monitor for each computer. Then i just move all TV "windows" to the TV from the computer. The surround system is hooked to my linux sound.

So I should just be buying 50 inch monitor then, not a TV. Think
Recommended Tutorials:
Modern TV or Monitor each use about 30 watts, so use .72 kWh per day as a cost of .1166 (local, yours may be different)
will cost $.0842 per day.
I don't watch TV Smile
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
im not really worried about the cost of electricity as i dont really pay for it.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-11-2018, 06:33 PM)metulburr Wrote: I do have all my electronics on surge protectors, but maybe a UPS would be a good idea in conjunction with it.

Sure, it's what I do. Just don't plug a UPS into a surge protector or vice versa. As for monitor vs TV, I think is a matter of taste. Like you, I watch all my streaming media on a monitor with sound coming from the computer as well. My personal view is that today's HDTV's provide too much resolution to the point of either being annoying or verging on painful. So for me, a monitor is just fine and dandy.

I don't think there is any empirical data out there that definitively states the case for or against the power issue. It usually boils down to personal experience. If you live in an area with frequent power outages and/or brown-outs (which I do), I'd say turn the power off when not in use. If you don't suffer those conditions or are running through a UPS, leave it on.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
(Jan-11-2018, 09:38 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: My personal view is that today's HDTV's provide too much resolution to the point of either being annoying or verging on painful.

This is serious thread drift, but maybe some site users will find it of interest.

The local major-league baseball broadcasts tended to aggravate me mentally. I'd end up losing concentration and having weird daydreams while trying to watch baseball. I haven't been able to correlate it with anything except the latest high-definition TV signal. The problem stopped when I got mlb.tv and changed the embedded media player settings to low-definition.
(Jan-11-2018, 09:38 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: My personal view is that today's HDTV's provide too much resolution to the point of either being annoying or verging on painful.
I cant even tell the difference to be honest. When i go to walmart/best buy and see all the TV's playing the same thing they all look the same; except for size-wise. The only difference i see in an old tube TV and this new TV i bought, is 1) its bigger 2) its wide-screen. Other than that i cant really tell the difference. Maybe if i was playing xbox, but not watching TV. Or maybe i am just getting old and my eyes are getting bad. Wink But hey, thats not always bad, that means i save money because i dont need the latest and greatest.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Jan-11-2018, 07:51 PM)metulburr Wrote: im not really worried about the cost of electricity as i dont really pay for it.

how much of the electricity from your provider is from renewable energy sources?

carbon footprint and climate change are forms of payment.
im not really going to worry about global warning for leaving my TV on 100%.
Recommended Tutorials: