Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too Enthusiastic project(?)
Dear Python users,

I just started learning Python and I am wondered how many things can be done with this software. I purchased the book, “automate the boring stuff with python” for learning the basics of python programming. Some days I think learning this ‘basics’ of python is already pretty hard. But (mostly) the next day I got my motivation back and trying to improve myself again.

With a bit of introduction knowledge, I have set a goal for myself and I am wondering if this is too enthusiast or it is reasonable. At the end of September, I aiming to have an app or other application for the following query:
In a (work)day, an operating system needs to make parts. The parameters are as follows:
  • Every day six parts are needed
  • The duration of a day is 900 (work)minutes
  • The duration for the parts are (per part, so total times should be multiplied by six):
  1. Part A = 30 min total = (6x30) 180 min
  1. Part B = 45 min total = ……
  1. Part C = 300 min
  1. Part D = 105 min
  1. Part E = 90 min
I am sorry, but the list option didn't work properly in writing this post...

In python I want to develop something to visualize a kind of ‘timeline’ which should calculate what the best division of parts is in this total 900 min per (work)day.

My question,
- Is a case like this possible to execute in python?
- What kind of aspects in python are important in this case? For example, should I focus myself at learning Pandas to visualize those ‘timelines’?
- Is it for a beginner possible to build a project like this in about 9 weeks?

I haven’t tried to write a code for this query yet, I want to know the possibilities for this project and on what to focus. I am a bit worried when I have learned the whole book of “automate the boring stuff with Python” and afterwards it was all for nothing because this project was a better case for Django (I just saying Django as an example Wink ).

Like to hear!

Python system = Python 3.8.3
Hello and welcome to Python and the forums!
I may not understand every detail of your project idea, but I dare conclude that it certainly is doable within the planned time frame.
I am sure there are plenty of options for plotting timelines with Python. A quick search gave these results:
https://matplotlib.org/3.1.3/gallery/lin...eline.html
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5150...matplotlib

For a Python beginner I would usually recommend a more general learning resource. However, if project based learning works a lot better for you, and/or you have coding basics down already, then AutomateTBSWPython will work just fine I believe.

If you get stuck with code or conceptual coding/Python questions, you are welcome to post specific questions here.

Good luck! :)
Helle j.carter,

Thanks for the quick response. As well for the specific direction for the matplotlib and stackoverflow references, I am not familiar with it yet but now I can dive into it Smile .

Quote:For a Python beginner I would usually recommend a more general learning resource.
What do you mean with a more general learning resource? I have reached page number 100 (out of 400) at the book AutomateTBSWPython so there is so much more to do, and it already took me three weeks for the first 100 pages Tongue .

Thanks for the open mind feeling here at the forum, I will ask for sure advice if necessary, thanks Smile .
What do you mean with a more general learning resource?
By that I mean a typical beginner's Python learning resource, where you progress in the common order: syntax, variables, statements, loops, functions, modules, OOP etc...
But as stated before, it depends on individual (I don't know what your coding experience is and what learning style you prefer). Anyway, it is up to your preference. Use the resource you enjoy following, because ultimately it's your doing that will teach you, not the book title alone :)
Ah okay I do understand. Actually I started learning with the book, "Head first Python" but I think I didn't like the approach because the understanding was hard, then I started with the book Automate the boring stuff, and works better.

Thanks for your advice.