Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trouble finding Python code
I used to be pretty good at grep, (on Linux), but I
am having some difficulty using it on windows 7 with the
grep built into cmder.

grep -ri --include='*.py' 'wx.ListCtrl' .
used to work on windows (I thought), but I'm using it in a directory tree
where I should get several hits, and I'm getting none.

What's wrong with my command?
it works for me on linux and win10 with Cygwin. Although windows seems to be uber slow in comparison.
Recommended Tutorials:
Write a short python script to do it.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
I think People are paid extra to make things slow at Microsoft.
It for whatever reason is not finding anything in windows.
There is some other reason why this is not working, because it used to work.
maybe the widget was depreciated of obsoleted in Phoenix.
And to be fair, this version of grep is from GNU, who I have the highest praise for.
The version is written for Unix systems and who knows what is changed from Microsoft.
This is just one reason why I don't touch Windows if I can. Always happens something unexpected.
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
Seems to me if a piece of software "claims" it will work with a certain OS (whether Windows, Linux, *nix or Mac) then it is the responsibility of that software creator to ensure it truly does work as promised, not the OS. If I write a crappy Python script and vow that it will work on Linux and it doesn't, it would be ridiculous to blame Linux. Whether you use Cygwin on Windows or Wine on Linux (or Samba, which I truly believe doesn't work on any system) you can't expect the same performance as you get by using the actual system itself, there are just to many moving parts in trying to fool an OS into thinking it is something else. If I write (a non-python) script in Linux, I use Bash, if I write one in Windows, I use PowerShell and can think of no good reason to use either on a system other than then one it was intended for.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trouble with installing python domingo251 2 592 Sep-23-2023, 12:03 AM
Last Post: ICanIBB
  (OpenCV) Help to improve code for object detection and finding center of it saoko 0 1,202 May-14-2022, 05:34 PM
Last Post: saoko
  Finding Max and Min Values Associated with Unique Identifiers in Python ubk046 1 2,044 May-08-2020, 12:04 PM
Last Post: anbu23
  New to python, having trouble with an exercise Salkay 3 2,146 Feb-18-2020, 01:42 AM
Last Post: Salkay
  code for finding a cables crossed the bondary of the city spider_pytthon 8 3,549 Dec-24-2019, 07:23 AM
Last Post: spider_pytthon
  Finding nearest point of a Multidigraph in Python 3.7 stixmagiggins 5 3,749 Aug-24-2019, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ThomasL
  More Python Embedding Trouble jibarra 3 2,912 Jul-11-2019, 09:25 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Help with finding correct topic in Python learning yahya01 1 2,193 Jun-06-2019, 05:01 PM
Last Post: buran
  Trouble Understanding Why This Code Works crocolicious 2 2,694 Apr-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Last Post: crocolicious
  finding problems connecting python to sqlite Dennis 1 2,279 Dec-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Larz60+