Python Forum
Unable to configure IDLE for Python 3.7.2
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to configure IDLE for Python 3.7.2
Hello,
I am a newbie to Python. I have installed Python 3.7.2 on my computer. Everything seems to run fine, except when it comes to custom configuring IDLE. I want to change the color for Python comments. It is red by default, but red text on a dark blue background is difficult to read. I would like to change comments text to yellow or some other suitable color.

However, whenever I try to custom configure (Options -> Configure IDLE), I am unable to save custom settings by pressing the "APPLY" button. Clicking the "OK" button has no effect also. I would greatly appreciate your help.
From the docs:
Quote:Setting preferences

The font preferences, highlighting, keys, and general preferences can be changed via Configure IDLE on the Option menu. Non-default user settings are saved in a .idlerc directory in the user’s home directory. Problems caused by bad user configuration files are solved by editing or deleting one or more of the files in .idlerc.

On the Highlights and Keys tab, select a built-in or custom color theme and key set. To use a newer built-in color theme or key set with older IDLEs, save it as a new custom theme or key set and it well be accessible to older IDLEs.

My answer would be, dump IDLE, although it's packaged with python, it's a minimal IDE at best, and can be kludgy.

I would recommend installing VSCode. You'll be much happier in the end.
If interested, see: https://python-forum.io/Thread-VS-Code-f...ght=vscode
I checked the .idlerc folder and found that it contained the following 3 files:
1. config-main.cfg
2. breakpoints.lst
3. recent-files.lst

A blank Notepad file pops up when double-clicking on the "breakpoints.lst" icon. Double-clicking on the "recent-files.lst" pops up a Notepad file with the following text:
C:\Users\marco\OneDrive\Documents\PYTHON 3\letter M.py
C:\Python34\Testing 1 2 3.py

And double-clicking on the "config-main.cfg" pulls up Notepad++ that I used a while back when I was trying to learn C++. Could this file be the cause of my troubles?
sorry, I don't use IDLE, so can't answer properly. Although I would expect the config would contain color details.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  dil_bert Version-Control with Atom: how to set & configure the interaction apollo 0 2,555 Dec-03-2018, 10:05 PM
Last Post: apollo
  How to configure Videogrep and PlayPhrase on my Windows 7 x64? miguel 4 5,116 Oct-04-2017, 06:50 PM
Last Post: miguel