Python Forum
Unable to install pyperclip
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to install pyperclip
Currently running ubuntu 17.10 and mainly use python3 (python2 is part of the os) . So both versions of python are in my sys. pip->python2 pip3-> python3

So I am unable to install/import pyperclip? Is this an os problem or maybe geany(my preferred IDE)?

I went on pyperclip's github and installed tried installing the recommended reqs (xce, xclip gtk,PyQt4) and didn't have much success. Here are my terminal screenshots. Pls advise?

couldnt quite figure out how to upload screencaps so had to use attachment method

Did you try sudo pip3 install pyperclip ?
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
I suspect bc it is installed in the pip (in py2) folder of .cache which I can't access. Here's a screencap (i included the etc/ folder listing all python folders (i previously played with python notknowing P2 is part of the os and had to reinstall my os...so I'm a bit apprehensive about playing around in the python folders...)

update: it appears it is a pip3 problem...I can't install any pip modules with pip3. python3 -m pip install pkg also fails...pls help?
It looks as though, pyperclip installed successfully.

Did you try typing
python3 # To enter Python mode

>>> import pyperclip # Note the '>>>' is the prompt, do not type.

If any step fails, please post entire error code (between error tags)

Absolutely DO NOT mess with the default Python 2 and Python 3 file system installs, on Linux, they are used by the OS
this is where I am... very confused

update: wtf just noticed both pip and pip3 are now the same version...9.0.1 wtf
It would appear you don't have the correct permissions set for the .cache directory, and none of your screen shots show the permissions.
(Dec-31-2017, 09:16 PM)sparkz_alot Wrote: It looks as though, pyperclip installed successfully.
How can you tell? I checked and you are right...    

Quote:Did you try typing
python3 # To enter Python mode

>>> import pyperclip # Note the '>>>' is the prompt, do not type.

If any step fails, please post entire error code (between error tags)
it appears it installed..    

Quote:Absolutely DO NOT mess with the default Python 2 and Python 3 file system installs, on Linux, they are used by the OS
Learned the hard way ...I killed my ubuntu gui/shell(unity at the time) by deleting (i guess) py2 and reinstalled. I am concerned that both pip and pip3 are same version but in different locations. Should I worry about this?

And if all is ok should I rely pip3 install packages I will use with python3 or do I install thru pip....I ask since pip and pip3 point to different locations? Pls advise...(growing pains stink!!!)
Quote:update: wtf just noticed both pip and pip3 are now the same version...9.0.1 wtf

Not a problem
And if all is ok should I use pip3 (how do I change permissions?..) to install packages I will use with python3 or do I install thru pip....I ask since pip and pip3 point to different locations? Pls advise...(growing pains stink!!!)

Quote:It would appear you don't have the correct permissions set for the .cache directory, and none of your screen shots show the permissions.
ABout the permissions
I usually use variants of ls -xxx but that doesn't seem to work these specific file sets...
Can you provide some advise? I don't mind changing these permissions around. variants of chmod -x aren't quite working exactly...

I need to pt out
pip3 works for a django venv...?    
idu
I am not as familiar with Linux as other members are, but this may help you get started. I will also add that when I do need root permissions, I simply log on as root (and no, I don't want to start a debate on the pros and cons of using root).

Usually I use the command ls -al . This lists all files and directories, even hidden ones (those that start with a '.'), it also shows the permissions, owner, group, etc.

An example:
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi   pi   4096 Apr 25  2017 .arduino
-rw-------  1 pi   pi   7130 May  6  2017 .bash_history
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi    220 Mar  3  2017 .bash_logout
-rw-r--r--  1 pi   pi   3512 Mar  3  2017 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x  9 pi   pi   4096 Apr 25  2017 .cache
We see the owner and group are both 'pi' (I'm on a raspberry pi at the moment), owner pi has read,write and execute permissions, members of pi's group and all others have read and execute permissions only.

If we look at the .cache directory, we see that 'pip' is a directory also owned by user 'pi'. group members and others have no permissions.

pi@raspi:~ $ cd .cache
pi@raspi:~/.cache $ ls -al
total 36
drwxr-xr-x  9 pi pi 4096 Apr 25  2017 .
drwxr-xr-x 38 pi pi 4096 Dec 30 09:46 ..
drwx------  3 pi pi 4096 Apr 25  2017 chromium
drwxr-xr-x  2 pi pi 4096 Apr 16  2017 fontconfig
drwxr-xr-x  3 pi pi 4096 Mar  3  2017 lxsession
drwxr-xr-x  3 pi pi 4096 Apr 15  2017 matplotlib
drwx------  2 pi pi 4096 Dec 29 11:00 menus
drwxr-xr-x  3 pi pi 4096 Dec 30 09:46 openbox
drwx------  3 pi pi 4096 Apr 11  2017 pip
pi@raspi:~/.cache $ 
My guess is (and correct me if I'm wrong), but your permissions are correct, but the owner and group may be set to 'root'?

Also, please do not post screen captures, rather use the 'copy' feature of the terminal and then paste on this site between the code tags.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to install PyQt5 using pip. edwin4project 2 3,400 Nov-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Larz60+