Python Forum
Unable to install pyperclip
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to install pyperclip
in .cache
drwx------ 4 me me 4096 Dec 29 15:55 pip
(shouldn't there be a pip3, as well...)
No, the cache is just a place for pip to store wheels. As to how I knew pyperclip installed successfully, I refer you to your screen capture https://python-forum.io/attachment.php?aid=340 If you look at the top, above the two captures, you'll see that it was installed successfully. The file however was not saved in the cache. I'm not that familiar linux to tell you why it's a permission error.

One other thing you can check is from within the python3 interpreter, try:

>>>import pyperclip
>>>pyperclip.__version__
>>>
If it returns a version, it should be 1.6.0
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Can you tell me what my permissions should be set to? wre for owner and...?

pip3 works within python3. It also works to install Django.

Would you be able to point me in some direction where I can go to solve this issue (I'm pretty much bouncing between python2 &3 when I practice code...it's not fun...especially as a noob). SO is hyper specific and this issue isn't quite covered (I don't want to risk my nascent SO rep...ppl downvote very brutally there...)
The permissions appear to be correct, i.e. 'owner' has rwe permissions while 'group' and 'others' have none. Again, the cache is only used to store a particular wheel, if there is no cache or the most current wheel is not in the cache, pip will look online. Suppose you have multiple versions of Python and you want to install a new module that works with all versions of Python, normally, you would install/upgrade the wheel and pip would download the appropriate file and store it in the cache. Then when installing/upgrading to other Python versions it need only download it once and any additional actions would use the cached version. In your case, since it can't access the cache, it needs to download the file for each request. No biggy unless you have a slow internet connection.

No, I don't know how to fix it since I don't know what's causing it. Is this a version of Python you installed or is it a version that came pre-installed with the OS? If it is a pre-installed version, I would guess it has something to do with how the OS 'configured' it. In which case I would check their forum for similar problems or report it as a bug.

Also, as a new user, forget about Python 2, it is a dead horse. Focus on Python 3.
Just to update:
After a bit of purging/reinstalling, pip works as.
pip3 install --user pkg works...
it appears pip needs to install in lib dir
pip 9.0.1 from /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages (python 3.6)

My previous installation was is .local

IS it accurate to infer that the difference in destination dir must be bc of human error (aka I typed something wrong first time at some pt)??? Blush

I am curious about the --user flag tho...;) Think
(Jan-04-2018, 04:28 AM)mepyyeti Wrote: IS it accurate to infer that the difference in destination dir must be bc of human error

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. I just installed the latest version of Raspian (Stretch) on my Raspberry Pi, and it too is having problems with 'pip3' (i.e.: pip3 list --outdated is broken). I'm beginning to think there is a problem with Debian's (and thus it's branches)implementation of 'pip3'. I will probably just install Python 3.6.4 manually and forget about the default Python 3.

EDIT: Update
O.K., just installed Python 3.6.4 as an altinstall (I didn't want to mess up Raspians default 3.5.x)and every thing seems to be working fine including no problems with 'pip3.6'

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to install PyQt5 using pip. edwin4project 2 3,382 Nov-06-2020, 06:53 PM
Last Post: Larz60+