Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unable to set up PATH
Hello all,
I currently installed Python 3.6 and  set up my PATH as C:\ users\ Amina\ Downloads  i.e the location of the .exe file. But whenever I typed Python on my command prompt it gave me "python is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" and also my Idle python shell when I typed python is also given me Traceback( most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in<module>
PYTHON
NameError: name' PYTHON' is not defined
However, all the programs that I run on the python shell are executed. Pls help with any suggestion as I tried all possible ways of setting up PATH but the same error.
Thanks
When you type the command path, what do you get as output?
Don't install python to download directory.
This directory is a staging folder and data might get removed by greedy installers.
Most folks install python into the C:\ directory as Python27, Python364, etc.

Also, when installing, make sure you check 'Add python to environment path' (or something similar to that, wording is just approximate)
This is an option, and I believe should be pre-selected, but it is not.

Did you actually run the installer, or just download it?

Also, please answer Squenson's question.
I would uninstall your current Python installation, then follow this tutorial to install it properly https://python-forum.io/Thread-Basic-Par...er-Windows

If installed correctly, you should not have to worry about the 'path'.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
The installer for python will update your Path variable, if you let it (there's a checkbox).  Uninstall, and try again.
(Dec-29-2017, 11:34 AM)squenson Wrote: When you type the command path, what do you get as output?

​​​​​​I typed PATH on my command prompt and I got " PATH=C:\Windows\System32;C:\users\Amina\Downloads
You have very little in path,if that's all.
Uninstall and follow Python 3.6 and pip installation under Windows.
Will add this automatic to path ;C:\Python36\Scripts\;C:\Python36\;.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WebDriverException: Message: 'PATH TO CHROME DRIVER' executable needs to be in PATH Led_Zeppelin 1 2,215 Sep-09-2021, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Yoriz
  .pth file does not show up in sys.path when configuring path. arjunsingh2908 2 5,775 Jul-03-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: arjunsingh2908