Python Forum
Unanswered Posts link
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unanswered Posts link
As I write this there are 40 unanswered posts. I love the link, but many of them are things that don't necessarily need a reply. The link is great for making sure posts don't go unanswered, even if after a few days the answer is a bummer. The problem though here is that the posts that don't need an answer result in noise. Is there a way to mark certain threads as being exempt from the unanswered posts search result?
Quote:Is there a way to mark certain threads as being exempt from the unanswered posts search result?
I doubt there is by default. I can ask though. 

Are you meaning from the number in parenthesis by it or the actual search result in the list? Because i can remove the number from view completely.
Recommended Tutorials:
I'm referring to the actual list. The number is great, I'd try to keep it single digits if we could clean up the results.

As a workaround, we can just reply to those kinds of posts but that seemed like an unclean solution.
The old forum doesnt allow this option either. phpbb listed out all unanswered posts too. 

If i dont get a response on how to do this exact thing, we might be able to tweak the plugin to splice the list to the latest 10 or so unanswered? The option to have admins/mods select threads to remove would require some in depth knowledge of PHP beyond my capabilities at this current time.

Quote:we can just reply to those kinds of posts but that seemed like an unclean solution.
That might not be that bad of an idea as you think. The fact that the forum is just starting out there are a lot of posts that are normally not posted on a regular basis. I expected the first month or two to have posts like this, but then fade out to normal questions. If this is true, we could (sloppy) just post to all the "information" or "update" posts.
Recommended Tutorials:
Yeah this wasn't meant to make it comparable to the old forum, just to head off the problem earlier this time (as well, we have more freedom here).

Rather than latest ten or something, I'd rather just make silly replies to the posts which don't require a reply, like "this is great!" or whatever. (**hint hint** for those who want to artificially inflate their post count a bit, just don't overdo it!). You make a good point about it not being super regular, so largely fine.
(Sep-25-2016, 08:31 PM)micseydel Wrote: I'm referring to the actual list. The number is great, I'd try to keep it single digits if we could clean up the results.

As a workaround, we can just reply to those kinds of posts but that seemed like an unclean solution.

That doesn't seem that bad.  A simple "nice job" or "cool" or, if that doesn't apply, "...(hiding from unanswered posts)..." seems alright.

Unless instead of Unanswered, we have Elevation levels, where new threads start fully escalated and mods/posters can de-escalate threads.  That way, unanswered-but-not-needing-responses threads could be de-escalated, but answered-but-not-yet-solved could still be escalated so people still see it... then you can search based on thread elevation?
From a few days I see "Unanswered post (6)" at the home page. I know these are from Tutorials and they don't need an answer.
But these post eventually is going to grow. If a newcomer see, lets say a number 65 there , what would has thought
"As they say in Mexico 'dosvidaniya'. That makes two vidaniyas."
https://freedns.afraid.org
There are already a couple threads where users and team think about solutions, so I'll close this one. Continue discussion there:

http://python-forum.io/Thread-Unanswered-Posts-link
http://python-forum.io/Thread-No-response-required
You could of just merged it into one of the other posts
Recommended Tutorials:
Is there a way to change the search query to ignore threads older than a certain number of days? I'm starting to feel like the empty response replies are a real bummer.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  posts remain in Unread Posts after read Larz60+ 27 45,436 Jun-02-2017, 05:24 PM
Last Post: Kebap
  remove number from unanswered posts metulburr 5 4,688 Feb-26-2017, 03:37 AM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Testing unanswered posts (new) ichabod801 0 2,900 Oct-08-2016, 11:08 PM
Last Post: ichabod801
  testing unanswered posts (old) metulburr 0 3,328 Sep-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Last Post: metulburr