Python Forum
Use Of Real Names In Postings
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Use Of Real Names In Postings
It would be nice to know the underlying factors governing non-use of real names in our postings, specially as there is nothing clandestine & the activities of this forum are oriented towards the noble aim of rendering help to python community.
A.D.Tejpal
Why did you choose "adt" instead of your real name?
My real name is Thomas and my lastname starts with "L".
"Real" name? One can use whatever they want as username (incl. their real name). In any case there is no way that we can confirm/validate they use their real name (i.e. no reasonable way). Not that we want to do that. It's not worth the efforts to do so. And if we cannot confirm identity, any "name" is as good as any other.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Sep-06-2019, 05:01 AM)ThomasL Wrote: Why did you choose "adt"

Thanks for responding.

During the process of registration in this forum, adt was entered as my UserID. These initials stand for my full name A.D. Tejpal.

It seems adt got passed on as my post identity.

Overall, with buran's post, the matter stands clarified. The forum permits complete flexibility in this regard.

A.D. Tejpal
A.D.Tejpal
We don't have distinct username and display name. You could have selected something like ADTejpal or A.D.Tejpalas user name. By the way from UserCP you can change your username if you wish so
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

And you can always put your real name in your signature file. I think there may be one or two people around here who do that.
Craig "Ichabod" O'Brien - xenomind.com
I wish you happiness.
Recommended Tutorials: BBCode, functions, classes, text adventures
I dont think users themselves can change their own username on whim. However admins can surely do so if you want it changed.

You can change it to whatever you want. I call it a "handle". Like metulburr has no meaning to me other than its my internet handle. Mainly because i dont want the public to know my real name. Im sure with enough research one could find my real name, but i just dont want it plastered over tons of sites. But its something i came up with years ago and it stuck for anytime i needed to create a username.
Recommended Tutorials:
(Sep-06-2019, 11:54 AM)ichabod801 Wrote: And you can always put your real name in your signature file.

Thanks to all my colleagues for their kind suggestions.

Normally, I tend to favor short user name for convenient Log-In.

I have now adopted the Signature option for depicting my display name. I was almost on the verge of doing so, when I saw this very suggestion by ichabod801.

In fact, it could be most welcome if this practice gets patronized by most of us.
A.D.Tejpal
(Sep-06-2019, 12:21 PM)adt Wrote: In fact, it could be most welcome if this practice gets patronized by most of us.
The last thing I need is to get random LinkedIn requests because I left my full name here. Same as metul, you can find it with my username but there's definitely good reason to not make it too easy.
(Sep-06-2019, 08:38 PM)micseydel Wrote: The last thing I need is to get random LinkedIn requests because I left my full name here.

In that case, this forum's huge thread "New Users Introduce Yourself", spanning 31 pages, might already have been exposing us to such risk, right since 2016.
A.D.Tejpal

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Timeout for multiple postings bowlofred 3 2,333 Oct-13-2020, 09:44 PM
Last Post: metulburr