Python Forum
Using a class to create instances of Tkinter Toplevel() windows
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Using a class to create instances of Tkinter Toplevel() windows
I'm a newbie at python and coding in general. I am messing around with Tkinter, trying to understand it. Before I go any further can someone tell me if it's ok practice to create a class to initialise Toplevel() windows?

This is my code, please pull it to pieces:

from tkinter import *

class TopLevelWindow():
    def __init__(self, master, width, height):
        self.master = master
        self.master.geometry("%sx%s+100+100" % (width, height))
        self.master.title("Toplevel Window")

root = Tk()
top1 = Toplevel()
top2 = Toplevel()
TopLevelWindow(top1, "300", "300")
TopLevelWindow(top2, "500", "250")

root.mainloop()
This code works but I really don't know what is happening, I just throw a few keywords together until it worked.
Can someone explain what is happening here where I pas in master and then define self.master as master. Is it even ALLOWED to be a master?

def __init__(self, master, width, height):
    self.master = master
self is an instance of itself, in your case TopLevelWindow
when you call __init__, you are passing top1 which is an instance of TopLevel, width of 300, and height of 300.

If you passed root instead of top1, there would only be one window.
you can also 'hide' the root window with root.withdraw()

Toplevel creates a new 'root like' window in addition to root

Once top1 is passed to TopLevelWindow, it becomes self.master or TopLevelWindow.master, but it's still the same instance of top1

Then you create yet another instance of TopLevelWindow passing top2 as master

you could of also instantiated TopLevelWindow this way, which may explain a bit more:
TopLevelWindow(master=top1, width="300", height="300")
I try to do this by default, but when cranking out code, often miss doing it. It explains what's what with a single glance.
(Mar-27-2018, 11:12 AM)Larz60+ Wrote: self is an instance of itself, in your case TopLevelWindow
when you call __init__, you are passing top1 which is an instance of TopLevel, width of 300, and height of 300.

If you passed root instead of top1, there would only be one window.
you can also 'hide' the root window with root.withdraw()

Toplevel creates a new 'root like' window in addition to root

Once top1 is passed to TopLevelWindow, it becomes self.master or TopLevelWindow.master, but it's still the same instance of top1

Then you create yet another instance of TopLevelWindow passing top2 as master

you could of also instantiated TopLevelWindow this way, which may explain a bit more:
TopLevelWindow(master=top1, width="300", height="300")
I try to do this by default, but when cranking out code, often miss doing it. It explains what's what with a single glance.

Hi Larz, thank you very much for the explanation. I think the main thing that's important here is that this seems a legitimate way of creating multi toplevel windows without breaking anything else in Python haha

I can now move forward with my project.

Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  tkinter two windows instead of one jacksfrustration 7 774 Feb-08-2024, 06:18 PM
Last Post: deanhystad
  pass a variable between tkinter and toplevel windows janeik 10 2,134 Jan-24-2024, 06:44 AM
Last Post: Liliana
  Tkinter multiple windows in the same window tomro91 1 784 Oct-30-2023, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  [Tkinter] Help create scrollbar in chatbot with tkinter on python fenec10 4 1,430 Aug-07-2023, 02:59 PM
Lightbulb Using Tkinter With Concurrent.Futures / ThreadPoolExecutor Class AaronCatolico1 1 1,417 Dec-14-2022, 08:01 PM
Bug [Tkinter] CanĀ“t create a class for frames ThomasFab 5 1,936 Sep-28-2022, 08:44 PM
Lightbulb [Tkinter] Tkinter Class Import Module Issue AaronCatolico1 6 2,967 Sep-06-2022, 03:37 PM
Last Post: AaronCatolico1
  [Tkinter] Open tkinter colorchooser at toplevel (so I can select/focus on either window) tabreturn 4 1,829 Jul-06-2022, 01:03 PM
  [Tkinter] Toplevel window menator01 5 2,984 Apr-18-2022, 06:01 PM
Last Post: menator01
  [Tkinter] Not able to get image as background in a Toplevel window finndude 4 3,836 Jan-07-2022, 10:10 PM
Last Post: finndude