Python Forum
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VERSION.TXT
I have a project that contains an empty file called VERSION.TXT. Is this a standard kind of a file? It sounds like it is, but I can't find any relevant info about it.
Honestly I have never done something with it, but it turned out to be a file which can be used to determine the version. But some configuration is required to use in a Pythonic standard way: read this.

With the right configuration the __version__ attribute can be used to determine the version.
- Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein
Thanks, Jeff. It kind of looks like it's still in the discussion stage, but I could probably find an example on the web somewhere. For now, I'll just leave it alone, as it doesn't seem like it's terribly important unless some code is expecting to find the version there.
I agree with that, I also tried to find a practical use for it. Maybe if you distribute code which depends on other distributed libraries and it must be a particular version or higher or something like that. In that case you can integrate an Exception which tell you need a particular version of a library. But that's really all I can think of.
- Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid. Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can I upload a new version without previously deleting ancient version sylas 6 4,236 Nov-08-2017, 03:26 PM
Last Post: Larz60+