Python Forum
VS-Code or PyCharm Vs IDLE For Python Coding
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VS-Code or PyCharm Vs IDLE For Python Coding
Python installation includes IDLE as its own IDE.

Across the web, a marked preference is observed for alternative IDE's
like Visual Studio Code or PyCharm.

IDLE has the convenience of providing instant maximized view of
Code Window as well as Python Shell, affording fast unhindered
progress, making it attractive and covenient choice for a beginner.

VS-Code & PyCharm have the advantage of intellisense, though it is
seen that it might not always reflect 100% of potential information.
Help in preventing syntax errors is of course another feature amongst
a host of other embellishments. (Dependency in this regard can be
minimized if one intrinsically follows some safe practices like
typing the closing bracket or quote simultaneously with the opening
one, before filling in the content).

Experienced members are requested to kindly advise whether in their
view, it would be desirable even for a beginner, to overcome initial
reluctance if any and get used to an IDE like VS-Code or PyCharm
(in preference to IDLE), so as to eventually gain fluency therein.

adt
A.D.Tejpal
Please, use the search function. This is topic that has been discussed many times in the forums. The choice of IDE is very subjective one and in some cases will depend on OS (e.g. Notepad++ is available only on Windows)
Here are some links:
https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedD...vironments
https://python-forum.io/Thread-What-is-the-best-IDE
https://python-forum.io/Thread-i-need-a-...IDE-editor
https://python-forum.io/Thread-Notepad-w...nterpreter

And tutorial for VSCode
https://python-forum.io/Thread-VS-Code-from-start

I personally prefer VSCode and for when on Windows - Notepad++ for something quick and dirty. I think even as beginner one can benefit from good IDE. Note that there are "simple" IDEs (e.g. Thonny, to name one), that are much better than IDLE and beginner-friendly.
If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't understand it yourself, Albert Einstein
How to Ask Questions The Smart Way: link and another link
Create MCV example
Debug small programs

(Aug-29-2019, 07:17 AM)buran Wrote: I personally prefer VSCode and for when on Windows - Notepad++ for something quick and dirty. I think even as beginner one can benefit from good IDE. Note that there are "simple" IDEs (e.g. Thonny, to name one), that are much better than IDLE and beginner-friendly.

I would go through the links provided by you. In the mean time, thanks for your kind suggestions.

adt
A.D.Tejpal
Please have a look at Jupyter Lab.
This is my environment for experimental coding.
Just "pip install jupyterlab" and then "jupyter lab" and it runs a local programming environment in your browser.
Jupyter notebooks are widely used in data science and machine learning coding.
Watch this intro.
(Aug-29-2019, 03:49 PM)ThomasL Wrote: Please have a look at Jupyter Lab.
I agree with this use Jupyter Lab in many scenarios.

VS Code is my main editor,my tutorial VS Code from start.
For simple testing PyScripter or ptpython with cmder(which is very import for me for a good shell/Terminal on Windows).
So all choices can be a little confusing when new,unfortunately IDLE that comes with Python is not good at all.

Python dev should look at how Thonny or PyScipter or Mu dos it for a simple and good interface,
but this topic is not high on there list and stick with IDLE that only new user get pain over,
as people who have use Python for while don't use it all.
(Aug-29-2019, 03:49 PM)ThomasL Wrote: Please have a look at Jupyter Lab.

Hi ThomasL,

I will have a look at Jupyter Lab as suggested.

In the mean time, I have installed VS-Code and trying to get the hang of it.

Thanks.

adt

(Aug-29-2019, 04:42 PM)snippsat Wrote: VS Code is my main editor,my tutorial VS Code from start.

Hi snippsat,

Thanks for your kind suggestion. I have installed VS-Code.

In the light of your own experience so far, could you kindly advise as to what extensions should be added to VS-Code, in context of Python development?

In the book "Python All-in-One For Dummies" by "John Shovic & Alan Simpson", there is an interesting suggestion, as extracted below (from page 80):

"Any time you want to work in Python in VS Code, we suggest you open Anaconda Navigator and then Launch VS Code from there."

Would it be possible to have some clarification as to why they have made such a recommendation? In any case, one can quickly open VS-Code directly, while Anaconda itself is found to be slow in launching.

adt
A.D.Tejpal
How old is that book? Perhaps the author was used to work with Anaconda Navigator? Who knows?
You definitely don´t need to run that program to start VS Code.
I myself like the Anaconda packages but would suggest to start with Miniconda and install that modules you work with.
(Aug-30-2019, 07:44 AM)ThomasL Wrote: How old is that book?

The book happens to be quite recent as seen from the extract placed below:

"Copyright © 2019 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc., Hoboken, New Jersey"
A.D.Tejpal
As it is called "All-in-One For Dummies" maybe the authors think it might be more easy for dummies to first start the Navigator as a platform to work with and from there to open the IDE?

I know the Navagator and it offers a lot of interesting, sometimes overwhelming, media material, tools, etc.
Maybe this suggestion is derived from these:

Quote:When you install VS Code with Anaconda it comes with the Python Extension for Visual Studio Code for editing Python code, and the RedHat YAML extension for editing YAML files such as conda configuration files.
When you launch VS Code from Navigator, VS Code is configured to use the Python interpreter in the currently selected environment.

from Anaconda Documentation >>> Microsoft Visual Studio Code (VS Code)
I'm not 'in'-sane. Indeed, I am so far 'out' of sane that you appear a tiny blip on the distant coast of sanity. Bucky Katt, Get Fuzzy

Da Bishop: There's a dead bishop on the landing. I don't know who keeps bringing them in here. ....but society is to blame.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why does pycharm return nothing when Python interpreter does? Jessy 3 4,733 Nov-13-2019, 03:27 PM
Last Post: ndc85430
  Need for 'Network Coding' simplified code Dav 7 3,620 Jul-14-2019, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Skaperen
  Python IDLE intellisense not working on MacPro ? Devarishi 7 3,654 Jun-21-2019, 11:36 AM
Last Post: snippsat
  Old Python-version used by IDLE GeNoS 7 4,228 Apr-13-2019, 08:04 PM
Last Post: Gribouillis
  Need some inputs on IDE comparison on Windows 7: PyCharm (CE) vs Code python300 7 4,645 May-30-2018, 10:42 PM
Last Post: python300
  Installing Python 3.6.4 & using IDLE freddie0245 5 6,338 Dec-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Last Post: freddie0245
  Learn PyCharm and Python 3.6 Aug 2 15:00-16:00 GMT Larz60+ 0 2,724 Aug-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Last Post: Larz60+
  PyCharm cannot post unformatted code sylas 3 4,552 May-24-2017, 10:53 AM
Last Post: sylas