Python Forum
What Is Best/Easiest IDE To Install?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Is Best/Easiest IDE To Install?
I am completely new.

I would like to know which is quickest and easiest IDE to install?

My Python installation comes with IDLE but I'd like something a little better than that if possible.

So far I've just been lost in a jungle of different trails and dead ends...

Can't get anywhere.

I've been directed to, from various angles: PyVmMonitor, PyDev, Eric, Qt, PyQt, QScintilla, sip. And more... Mercurial for instance...

And run into hassles before I can successfully get to the end of any particular track.

Surely there's an easier way than this?

p.s. I've got an old Visual Studio somewhere. Pre win10. Would that have Python ability if I could find it and get it running on Win10?
Quote:PyVmMonitor, PyDev, Eric, Qt, PyQt, QScintilla, sip. And more... Mercurial for instance.
Most of these are not even IDE's.

here is a long list of possible editors and IDE's
https://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
https://wiki.python.org/moin/IntegratedD...vironments
Recommended Tutorials:
also see: https://goo.gl/tsL94Y
I tried many IDEs. Some of them cannot import tkinter or pygame. The best for me is Atom. You can display 2 files on the same screen.
Quote:Some of them cannot import tkinter or pygame
That doesn't make any sense. IDE's have no control over what you can and cannot import.
That is a function of whats installed vs. what's not!
@Larz60
Please look at the bottom of page 80 of Mark Lutz book.
(Mar-23-2018, 07:52 PM)sylas Wrote: Please look at the bottom of page 80 of Mark Lutz book.
Perhaps it would be easier to just quote the passage you are referring to. As well as which IDE's you talking about.
If it ain't broke, I just haven't gotten to it yet.
OS: Windows 10, openSuse 42.3, freeBSD 11, Raspian "Stretch"
Python 3.6.5, IDE: PyCharm 2018 Community Edition
Lutz says: tkinter GUI and threaded programs may not work well with IDLE. Because IDLE is a Python/tkinter program, it can hang if you use it to run certain types of advanced Python/tkinter programs. This has become less of an issue in more recent versions of IDLE that run user code in one process and the IDLE GUI itself in another, but some programs (especially those that use multithreading might still hang the GUI. Even just calling the tkinter 'quit' function in your code, the normal way to exit a GUI program, may be enough to cause your program's GUI to hang if run in IDLE (destroy may be better here only). etc....
Nothing works well with IDLE it has issues!
And don't forget, Lutz's book has been revised, the comment may be left over
from the first edition.
tkinter will work with IDLE, but probably not as it should.
Just save yourself some grief, don't use IDLE.
It's right that GUI can hang with IDLE(it's just bad),but this can also happens(more rarely) in other's editors.
To make it very clear,you do not need to push the run button just because is there in editor.
A lot of scenarios(GUI,Web,Freeze code,Multithreading,..ect) i always run from command line.
I run most from command overall,even if VS Code(my main editor),PyChram,Atom,...ect all has a run button.
For Windows is cmder a savior,so i don't have to look at or run code from ugly cmd or power-shell.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  whuch is easiest to read? Skaperen 2 2,496 Jul-25-2018, 12:24 AM
Last Post: Skaperen