Python Forum
What book/course do you recommend for an "advanced" beginner?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What book/course do you recommend for an "advanced" beginner?
Hello! I'm teaching myself to code with the eventual goal of a career switch into data science (long term). I've started by reading books and watching videos aimed at Python beginners, such as "Python Crash Course" by Eric Matthes. At this point, I feel pretty secure in the *very* basics of Python, but was out of my league when I tried to start "Python for Data Analysis" by Wes McKinney. I feel like I'm missing an intermediate level of resources. Is there a really good book, video series, or course that's more advanced for beginners like me who understand the basics of lists, functions, classes, etc., but still don't have a really good grasp on how to make use of them "in the real world?"
1) Python Forums : Forums like this are an incredible resource for challenges to hone your skills as well as opportunities to learn from other peoples mistakes and successes.

2) Queries : Search online for ‘intermediate python’ ‘intermediate python challenges’. There’s more out there than you might think.

3) Libraries : Your local library most likely has a number of Python texts that target the ‘advanced beginner’ and will usually have ways to search and place holds online. Get a card ;)

4) Projects : Choose a project like a game or phone book or calculator, etc… and launch your self into it. There’s nothing like trying to make your code work to inspire research and learning.
(Jan-21-2021, 11:13 PM)BashBedlam Wrote: 1) Python Forums : Forums like this are an incredible resource for challenges to hone your skills as well as opportunities to learn from other peoples mistakes and successes.

2) Queries : Search online for ‘intermediate python’ ‘intermediate python challenges’. There’s more out there than you might think.

3) Libraries : Your local library most likely has a number of Python texts that target the ‘advanced beginner’ and will usually have ways to search and place holds online. Get a card ;)

4) Projects : Choose a project like a game or phone book or calculator, etc… and launch your self into it. There’s nothing like trying to make your code work to inspire research and learning.

Thanks for answering my post so quickly, BashBedlam! I appreciate it. Those all look like great places to start. I've done some of the above, but you definitely gave me a few ideas of other things to try.

That said, I was wondering if you or anyone could recommend specific resources that you used when at this point in your Python journey? Such as: a specific book that's one step above the basics or a particular Udemy course that teaches how to apply the basics or a good website with lots of sample projects to experiment with? I have done some of the things you recommend above, but I'm so new to this that I'm not always in a good position to judge if something is the "right level". Not a big deal if we're talking about a library book, but I definitely don't want to shell out money on a course that's way too advanced for me, at the moment. Thanks!
I'm not sure that it would be appropriate, here on this site, to endorse any specific product. Personal, I chose option number 4 which has lead me on a journey of online research that would be difficult to duplicated in any single bound narrative. I recommend it highly.
If you intend to pursue a career in programming, you will as some point want to investigate formal training that will provide you with valid certification as that will be invaluable on your resume.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Which one of these would you recommend? vil0x 2 2,172 Dec-27-2023, 05:08 PM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Can you recommend me a vps that will run api python code? SuchUmami 2 1,009 Aug-16-2023, 02:21 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  Best Python Books for Starters and more Advanced m0dev 5 10,936 Mar-02-2022, 02:21 PM
Last Post: Haroldmorris
  New Advanced SQLAlchemy tutorial Added Larz60+ 0 1,748 Jun-11-2021, 02:34 AM
Last Post: Larz60+
  What is the best book for in-depth Python for advanced other-language programmers? user118967 1 2,658 Jun-04-2019, 07:56 PM
Last Post: snippsat
  What is the best site or book to learn advanced python programming? aruntracer 2 3,995 Apr-29-2018, 10:48 PM
Last Post: micseydel
  What YouTube tutorials do you recommend: nelsonkane 8 4,625 Jan-31-2018, 02:20 PM
Last Post: sparkz_alot